Thursday, March 19, 2009

Verve Project Parade: Eggstra Special




Happy Thursday everyone!




Today I decided to play along with the Verve Project Parade, "Eggstra Special". I wanted to do something *different*... not the usual bunnies etc. I wanted a way to give the true meaning of Easter, while still making something pretty and springy in nature. I came up with this design on my own. I don't know if anyone else has done this before, but there are so many "baskets" out there that it's quite possible it has been done, I just haven't seen any. I'm going to attempt to tell you what I did to make this in case you'd like to try it.




I cut two of the largest scalloped oval Nestabilities out of Papertrey Spring Moss CS. I also cut a 1" wide strip 6.25" long. This forms the body of the basket. I then cut an oval of K&Co. Embossed Vellum and attached to the front of one scalloped oval with vellum tape.




In the 1" wide strip I cut 2 slits with my Fiskars finger blade, about 3/4" from each end. I passed a piece of ribbon through these slits, punched a hole through paper and ribbon and inserted sparkly brads. For mine, I left enough ribbon to cover the brad and attach to the inside of the strip, giving a finished off look.




I applied a very tiny bead of Tombow Metal Glue to one edge of my 1" strip after determining the center point top and bottom of my ovals, and starting at the two top points, I pressed into place, making a rounded "u" shaped bottom. When I had that in place I ran another tiny bead of glue on the other edge of the strip and lining up my ovals, I attached the other oval, quickly standing basket up to be sure the front and back were lined up perfectly and stood without help.




Then I just decorated the front. I didn't want to hide too much of the gorgeous vellum, so I made a small oval sentiment panel, stamping on watercolor paper, with Memento Rick Cocoa, the sentiment from Clear Dollar Stamps called "In God's Hands". I lightly stamped a fern from See Dees Morsels Set "Flowers and Ferns" in River Rock. I matted this sentiment panel with a scalloped layer of Papertrey's Sweet Blush CS. For the cross I stamped Verve's Cross from "Jeremiah 29:11" set in Memento Rich Cocoa on watercolor paper and cut out. I decorated the cross with a strip of leaf ribbon, and one tiny quilled flower my SCS friend, MariLynn sent me. (MariLynn.... thank you soooo much!) Both the sentiment panel and the cross are popped up on dimensionals.




This basket stands on it's own as shown, but also looks nice hanging. Here's a couple more views.



20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is GORGEOUS ... ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! WOW!! I am in AWE!! :)




Judy

Sherry said...

I found your blog over on SCS and thought I'd stop in. I love it. Great ideas and inspiration and I really love the music. I am letting it play while I work on another tab. I look forward to coming back!
Sherry

bsgstamps4fun: Barb Gault said...

Just lovely, Grace! Your basket is just perfect in shape, design and coloring....says EASTER in capital letters!

Saved By Grace said...

Beautiful as usual, your creations are just so inspiring...I just love visiting your blog...

Janet said...

I, too, love to make Christian Easter cards or gifts to give at Easter. I love this basket. Thanks for sharing.

Gina Lindsay said...

Cute basket. I like the versatility so it can be used as a hanging basket or to sit somewhere. The colors are very pretty.

Amy Sheffer said...

Fantastic project!! Thanks for sharing your how-to, also! Thanks for playing in the Verve project parade - good luck!

(Wonderful music, by the way. I hate to click out of here!)

Sumtoy said...

This is totally awesome...Thanks for popping in at my blog...Big Hugs

Sabrina Jackson said...

Goodness, Grace, what a wonderful basket!!! I am so very thankful that you shared this so NON bunny basket!!! Truly like the fact that you honored the tru meaning of Easter in it.
Thank you!!!!
Hugs, Sabrina

The Mama Monkey said...

This is just beautiful! The shape itself is just too cool, but what I love most is the cross! The detail with the flower is just gorgeous!

Rosietoes said...

I've only just discovered this gorgeous blog. Your work is simply beautiful and the love shows in every piece. :)

Diane Noble said...

This is just wonderful. What a gorgeous design. Love the emphasis on Easter! The card below is just beautiful. Dry embossing is great, isn't it. Just beautiful work, Grace.

Miss Cindy said...

Hi! I found this card on Splitcoast and came here! This card is really gorgeous!! It is refreshing to see an Easter card celebrating the true meaning!

Janelle Stollfus said...

Oh wow. I really like this basket. Is that a quilled rose I see? Great job.

Amber Hight said...

GORGEOUS! I love this little basket, cute idea! Thanks for playing with us:)

Jennifer said...

Love your basket. How fun to hear the music to go along with it!

Jennifer

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is so beautiful! Love the little rose on the cross. Thanks for playing! :)

Terri Trotter Earley said...

This is stunning!!! Mercy Me is also just what I needed to hear at this very moment. Thanks!!! Great job with the verve parade.

It's a good life!
Terri E.

nap time stamper said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Very pretty!