Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Welcome to my Chocolate Shoppe!




Hello!
Whew! I've had a very busy week and the rest of the week is even worse.... but today I did have time to play a little. Clear Dollar Stamps is having a Guest Designer Call, and I made this card for it. The challenge was to add something that dangles to your card. My "dangling" item is the "sign" which I dangled from my "awning" with a piece of a chain I had saved from an old key chain.



This card was fairly labor intensive... so the details might be too, but here is the recipe:




Clear Dollar Stamps: Chocoholic

Acetate box top saved from a BasicGrey Brad Purchase

Chain saved from discarded key chain

High Tac Glue (Flower Soft)

Nesties: Small Scalloped Oval for doilies, Label#3 and Circle

Cuttlebug and Distressed Stripes Folder

Two Martha Stewart Edge Punches for "curtains" and "awning"

Sponges

Crop-a-dile

Prisma Pencils and Odor Free Mineral Spirits

Stickles in Cotton Candy, Frosted Lace and Platinum

Stardust Clear Glitter Gel Pen

"SU! Sanded on vanilla" ... a RAK from Peggy which I sponged Creamy Caramel for the shelf in front of window

Paper: Papertrey Dark Chocolate CS, Georgia Pacific White, SU! Kraft, BasicFrey "Blush", Memory Box pink

Ink: Archival Jet Black, SU! Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel


I thought when I bought the BasicGrey Brads that the box top would make a great window some day... today was the day! I cut it to size, then measured the openings and drew and cut the frame around them from Kraft CS. I used a Prisma Pencil to draw in the "pane" lines and did a little sponging for shading. I stamped the cake pieces in Archival Jet Black and the little cupcakes in Chocolate Chip. Because of their size in relation to the cake I'm calling them Petitfours! LOL! I colored them with Prisma Pencils and blended with Odor Free Mineral Spirits, cut them out, then topped with Stickles and set aside.


I cut out my "wall" color from my Memory Box 6 x 6 pack and cut a piece of a RAK from Peggy that was SU!'s Sanded Bg on vanilla for my shelf. I sponged it with Creamy Caramel. I cut a piece of BasicGrey Blush DP and punched the lower edge with a MS edge punch for a curtain and glued all pieces in place. I used my little scalloped oval Nesties and cut little "doilies" for the goodies, cut them just slightly less than half size, and rounded the back corners, then glued my goodies onto them. On the doilies I used a pen to make tiny dots and then topped that with my Stardust Clear Glitter Gel Pen, as I also did on the plates.


My card itself is Chocolate base from Papertrey, then layered with a Cuttlebugged and sponged layer of GP White. My dangling item is my Chocolate Sign... made by cutting a Label 3 in PT Dark Chocolate twice, then stamping my sentiment in Archival Jet Black on GPW and using a Nestie Circle to cut it out. I mounted it on the Label, added a punched hole through which I passed the chain, secured to the back and then added the second layer label 3 to the back to further secure it. I cut another piece of BasicGrey and punched it and scored it to make the awning. I punched a hole at the center point top... and passed the chain through that, using high tack glue inside to secure it. I used the same glue to attach the awning to the top of the card. (Note: I had scored lines to make folds in the awning so it is 3-D. I glued my window in place and then I used another punched edge of BG DP and another sentiment from this fun 12 piece set to the inside. It says "From one cocoa nut to another".


I had a blast... albeit a LONG blast making this card~ it was very nostalgic for me because my husband and I used to own a Candy Shoppe and we sold the best chocolates around!!! Yummy!!! Next to coffee... chocolate is probably my next addiction. I LOVE chocolate!


Check out the Clear Dollar Guest Designer Challenge here if you are interested!


Thanks for taking a look at my blog today... have a blessed day!


27 comments:

peggysue said...

You used to own a candy shop, wow! What made you give it up? Overdose on chocolate? This card is the cutest! I'm so there to buy some chocolate! And the layout is incredibly original.

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh, I hope you get the spot! You should with a card like this!!!

How cool you used to own a candy shop! I bet that was fun...and yummy!

I laughed at your chain...only a cardmaker would look at something broken and think...hey, I can use that! :)

Gina Lindsay said...

This is amazing, wow is all I can say. Good luck on the guest designer position. Fantastic entry.

Crystal said...

Grace I LOVE your card, I love choc and that setiment is soo true...love how you made your card look just like a candy shop, wow this is one creative and fantastic card Grace, I LOVE IT!

Becky said...

I hope you get it Grace.. I love this card, It is just so creative, love every thing about it.

Stephanie said...

Oh, Grace - my mom owned a candy shop when I was growing up and thanks to this I can't stand the smell of melted chocolate. I may be one of the very few people in the world who doesn't have a chocolate (or coffee) addiction - don't worry I make up for it with shoes and stamps :)

Your creation is wonderful! Such talent - Clear Dollar Stamps would be lucky to have you as a guest designer!

Anonymous said...

Grace, I love the detail on this card. The awning is perfect. Makes me want to stop and have some sweets at the store.

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Grace,l love the image and colour.

Hugs Riet.x

Joan Ervin said...

Grace, this is the cutest sweet shop I have ever seen!!!! I love the window you created with all the yummy chocolate goodies and the awning is sooo FABULOUS with the hanging sign...looks like a winner to me!!!!!

Unknown said...

good luck with the guest designer spot - this card is amazing!

hmm....chocolate shoppe - i would have been in plenty trouble if i was at the shop everyday :).

Bonnie said...

YUMMO!! This looks fabulous and yes, it looks like it was quite labour intensive but all well worth it!! Absolutely gorgeous!

Diane Noble said...

Oh, you'd love designing with Lori and the crew. They are wonderful! You will get it, I just know...it's just a matter of time. Your cards are fabulous, and they will love your style. This card is just too cute. Oh, my goodness...you OWNED a candy store. And look at you...so trim. That speaks of will-power, girlfriend. Can't imagine the overwhelming temptation that would be for me. I LOVE chocolate. Chocolate with coffee is even better.

Adorable card...I'll be sending "oh-I-do-hope-she-gets-it" thoughts your way!!

JazzyH said...

Great card. I love the shop and the colors.

Kay said...

You had me at chocolate, Grace! Your card is jaw droppingly fabulous - good luck with the DT position. I can't imagine why you wouldn't get it, you do such great work!

stampinganja said...

What a cute card!! Hope they pick you as DT, they should!!!
You have a very inspiring blog! In more ways than the cards, I like it what you say about the scraps in our lives,
Thanks, I hope to be back often to read, Anja

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Lots of details! Looks fabulous!!!

:-)

Mothermark said...

What a great card! I love the chocolately look! Its beautiful!

Hi Ricky!

Lisa Lara said...

Congratulations Grace! Wonderful card - making a Chocolate Shoppe. What a great idea. I hope you have as much fun as I did as April's Guest Designer.
Lisa

Tricia T said...

I'm so glad you got the Guest Designer spot this month!! I know you'll enjoy it. It was so much fun last month. :) Your card is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you come up with this month!!! :)

Shantaie said...

Grace, big congratulations on being the guest designer for May!! Im looking forward to seeing all you do!! Shantaie

Dell said...

Grace,
This is absolutely beautiful!

Beth aka BR-T said...

This is so inspiring! BR-T

Cat said...

Congratulations, Grace! I love the overhang on the roof on your card! So cute! Congratulations on being chosen as Guest Designer!

Diane Noble said...

SEE! I told you you would get it! CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so thrilled for you! And for Lori too! She is fabulous...so helpful and generous and you are going to love her. I'm just soooo excited for you and I can't wait to see what you do with their adorable stamps!

Three cheers for you, girlfriend!

Mary said...

You deserve the spot!!!! This card is absolutely scrumptious!!! Congrats!!

bsgstamps4fun: Barb Gault said...

What a yummy card! It makes me want to walk right in a have some of those pastries! Lovely card, Grace!

Spyder said...

Love chocolate, love this card and all it's detail.

((Lyn))