Monday, June 29, 2009

Through Many Dangers Toils and Snares....

Hello everyone and Happy Monday!

Today's TLC on SCS was Faux Burned Edges, and I imediately thought of the sheet music to the July 1 Release set by Our Daily Bread Designs. This card uses two of the new sets... Amazing Grace the Hymn, and Amazing Grace.

I used the instructions from the TLC227 to create the burned look to the edges of my sheet music. I then stamped just the words from Amazing Grace to the third verse of the wonderful old hymn. I thought the words of this third verse complimented the distressed, burned effect of the sheet music. I am at that point in my life where I can sing these words from my heart... "through many dangers toils and snares, I have already come, Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home". Wow!!! I love this old hymn and three of the new to be released sets from ODBD are related to Grace. What powerful sentiments and quotes are included! This may be my new favorite collection! I just love it!

Anyway... to make this card I stamped my hymn in Archival Jet Black on GPW and then heavily sponged with Tim Holtz Frayed Burlap, Old Paper and Archival Jet Black on just the edges. I stamped the words to verse 3 on dp from Studio D "The First Blush". I tore, rolled and distressed the edges of this panel as well and sponged to age. The base of the card is very heavy metalic from The Paper Co, called Uptown Gold. While it does have a hint of old gold in it, it is mostly dark green. The bg dp is from the same dp pack, The first blush. Love this mat pack... everything in it is vintagy. I don't do vintage that much but for those times you want to... this pack is great! I used a hinge from Tim Holtz Grungeboard pack and sponged it with Sahara Sand, giving it a hint of green "patina", then I went over that with Ink it Up Copper and Choc. Chip. Added Copper Brads to the hinge, and used Prima Flowers, MS leaf Punches and a Stamen punch from Punch Bunch.

To read about and watch a video clip that will make you love this old hymn more than ever, please see Judy's fabulous post here.

To view and hear an incredible rendition of Amazing Grace by Il Divo, sung in the Coliseum in Rome, click here. Thanks to Anne (ardodd on SCS) for this link!




This card came together very quickly and I love how it came out! I hope it inspires you today! One day, we will be tried with fire... I hope you know that God's Grace will lead you home!


Photobucket

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Grace - you did a beautiful job with today's TLC. Love all the dimension :)

Ashley Lydia Durand said...

This is such a beautiful card! I love this !! You did a wonderful job with distressing your card, and keeping it elegant. WHere do you get your stamps? I really want to buy some Christian stamps, I have been typing and printing but a stamp would be ideal.

Thanks
Ashley

Amy Sheffer said...

Wow, Grace! This is absolutely INCREDIBLE! Wonderful job on the challenge!

Lovely Linda said...

This card is stunning Grace - I love all of the techniques you have happening here! This eclectic look is just perfect, especially with the Amazing Grace there. Thank God HIS grace will lead us home - what a relief!! Thank you Grace for your inspiring works of the heart and for your inepiring words of encouragement - you are letting your 'light' shine my friend! God bless you!

Silke Ledlow said...

Grace - my sweet friend you never disappoint!!! This is is beyond FABULOUS!!! Fantastic take on the challenge!!! Hugs ~S~

Holly said...

I think this card is just gorgeous and I love that hymn. Thank you for sharing your beautiful and inspiring work!

Kelley said...

Oh..my...GOSH!!! This is very cool! Love all the layers!

Rosietoes said...

Lovely card Grace and the sentiment is true in so many lives. Love all the extra touches you bring to your work. Thank you for sharing your awesome talent. :)

Lorelie Kim said...

Love the faux burnt edges and the grungeboard hinge! Your creativity is very inspiring!!

somethingcraftybydottie said...

one more special gift for you my friend .
~ God Bless ~
Hugs:o)
Dottie


http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zN4fFabgL80/Skn2x2AULCI/AAAAAAAADeU/G3RDWS2OQBo/s1600-h/amazing_friendship1.jpg

Shirley said...

Thanks for finding my blog, Grace, so I could find yours. Your card is truly wonderful and so elegant too. I love every detail.

Angella D. Crockett said...

this is sooooo beautiful, Grace! The TLC was perfect for this hymn! I love all of the colors and details you put together! Gorgeous!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Love your faux burnt edges and the grungeboard hinge. It makes it look old or vintage!!! Gorgeous piece of art my dear!!! Love it!