Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Midnight Madness Sketch in Copper and Gold

Hello everyone!
I made this card for the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge #12. I started out by making my tag element. I started with a white shipping tag and sponged it with numerous Tim Holtz Distress Inks, and distressed the edges. I stamped with Archival Sepia images from Stampers Anonymous and Great Impressions. I then took a VersaMark Pen and highlighted some of the swirls, then heat embossed them with Copper embossing powder. Next I sprayed the entire tag with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in Iredescent Gold, which I got from the Our Daily Bread designs store. I added a dark brown elastic ribbon that has a goldish copper thread worked into it's design.

My card base is a stiff shimmery Copper from The Paper Co. Onto that I layered some highly textured paper from Coredinations Whitewashed collection. Onto that I layered my dsp which has a very vintage feel. It is from Prima, and is called The First blush. I love this 5 x 7 pack! I did quite a bit of piercing on this card that hardly shows up in the photo. I used an Ornare edge scallop template for the lower edge of both the dsp and the Coredinations layer, and I used part of a Nestabilities Edgeability piercing template for the design on the lower Coredinations part. I used another Ornare template for the design in the upper left corner... you probably can't even make it out in this photo.... maybe on the close up?

For my stitching, I pierced where I wanted my stitches to go and hand sewed some gold cord from "On a String".

My flower is made up of 2 layers of copper and green flowers from my stash, and then 4 layers of cut outs from my Nestie's Daisy Heads set. I cut 2 from a printed dsp in the same pack, and 2 from TH Grunge paper. The grunge paper is painted with TH acrylic paint, then sponged with Adirondak ink, then sprayed with glimmer mist. I cut between each petal right into the center and curled the petals up for dimension. All 6 layers are attached with an antique bronze brad. Behind my flower I added some copper fibers and some paper curls from my paper cutter and the base card stock.

While it looks like a simple sketch, this has a lot of steps in it, mainly because of all I did to distress the tag and color the grunge paper flowers. Had I used a simple ready made flower... and stamped an image on the tag it would have gone quickly, but I just had to try my hand at a more vintage feel. I think my "comfort" level in cards is simple elegance... but I do love a little vintage and also cutesy... so it's fun to go a different look sometimes!

Thanks so much for looking and if you have read this far... kudos to you!!! Have a blessed day!
Photobucket

35 comments:

Priscilla said...

Hey Grace..do you want to hear something funny...when I clicked on your name from Mr. Linky..and your blog started downloading, I started to get butterflies as your BEAUTIFUL card was being revealed. I am so silly I know, but I just love this stuff and your card is drop dead GEORGEOUS!!! Thank you for giving me butterflies LOL and of course for playing the Midnight Madness sketch challenges each week :)

Priscilla

Phyllis said...

UNBELIEVEABLY AWESOME. This is just one of the most beautiful cards ever. I love everything about it especially that wonderful flower. The MMDT wants to thank you for this luscious entry and are looking forward to what wonderment you will come up with in the future challenges.

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Grace this is stunning! I love it!!!!!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Oh my word, Grace, this card is absolutely BREATHTAKING!!!!!!!!!
I love earthtones and this card covers just that! Love all of the elements you've used here. That Spellbinders flower you've created is stunning and those fibers just top it off. I am so loving your card :D:D:D:D Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Jane Wetzel said...

Dang Grace! This is soooo stunning! I REALLY love this card!

peggysue said...

You know Grace, my jaw is getting bruises here from dropping to the floor too often. I have to pick it up, put it back in place . . . what a beautiful card, you have such talent. Great colors, I bet it is so shimmery IRL.

Dawn B. said...

Awesome card Grace. I love the shimmer. What a great creation. You should enter this into Dare To Get Dirty challenge on SCS. There was a tag category. Love the flower. It is striking. Super job.

Carolyn said...

Your card really is breathtaking. I just love everything about it. Thank you so much for playing with us at the MMSC this week. Hope you will continue to play. We have such fun and exciting things ocming up that you won't want to miss.

Carolyn, MMSC DT

Denise @ kc242 said...

What a stunning card. There is not one thing that I do not like about this card!!!! Super dupper! Thanks so much for playing along with us at the MMSC!

Francie G. said...

Wow! This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing all the fabulous details!

iriseyes said...

Truly gorgeous vintage card! I love everything about it, and appreciate the time this must have taken you! Thank you for sharing this work of art!

The Mama Monkey said...

Just gorgeous, as per ususal! I love that color combo!! The stitching is just fabulous!

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Grace,what a beautiful card,i love the papers and colours.
So gorgeous flower, so chique.

Hugs Riet.x

Kathy Jones said...

WOWZAS Grace!!!! You have outdone yourself this week!!!! The card is extraordinary and I love, love, love that flower!!!!

Karen W said...

Wow, I'm blown away, this is just stunning. I want to come and play and take lessons. I've never done well with the distressed inks. I love this whole thing!!

Becky said...

wow..this is just stunning Grace, all that work paid off, good idea about piercing and then hand stitching small areas.

Dawn B. said...

I tried to email you again and it didn't go through so I will just leave another comment here..LOL. Gorgeous card Grace. I will have to just look at my software. I think it is detecting you as spam...Awwww. I will catch up soon. The shimmer is amazing on this card. It is hard to capture that. I am hoping you had rainbows at your house last night. We sure did. Hugs. Have a great weekend.

JazzyH said...

Stunning. Very pretty!

Traci M said...

This is gorgeous, Grace!! I think doing the antiquing and shimmering and distressing are quite a process, but this ended up in a creation that leaves the viewer awestruck!! thanks for sharing as always!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

ok Grace...when are you coming to see me here in NY. We will have to sit down and chat a while and then you will just have to share how you made that gorgeous flower. You are incredible. Love the antiquing and the shimmer!! Your creations and personality just radiate everywhere girl!!
Thanks for playing with the MMSC this week, friend.
Hugs,
Chris

Holly said...

Three words for you: Work - of - Art! :)

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous, Grace!! Love all the copper and your hand stitching is fabulous!!

Connie M. said...

Oh Grace! This is just so stunning!! LOVE that layered flower...all I can say is WOW!!

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Beautiful, Grace!! Ooo, the colors are scrumptious!

Lovely Linda said...

Such a stunning card Grace - you never cease to amaze me, yet I never expect anything less! I love this card and agree with all of the above comments - thank you Grace for being such an inspiring friend!! Thank you too for your comments on my Blog and news - it is all very exciting!! God bless you!

Diane Noble said...

Oh, my goodness, Grace! You just keep outdoing yourself. Now we really do have to get together and I want you to go through all of those steps again so I can watch you!! This is stunning. Know it was work, but WOW...lots of kudos to YOU!!!

Gina Lindsay said...

Love the paper piercing, other than the color, that was the first thing I noticed. That flower is amazing.

Sally Lynn MacDonald-inkyheart said...

Your card is truly stunning. You got such amazing depth and interest throughout! Brava!!!

Kim said...

So rich! Oh, Grace! This is fabulous! Fit for a queen! Do you think she'd like getting a card? ;)

Anonymous said...

Stunning card Grace.

Betty Wright said...

GASP!!!! Gorgeous, Grace!!! Beautifully done!!!

Kay said...

Wow, this looks gorgeous and I bet it's even more beautiful in real life.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Missing you at the Breadbasket already. I left your something on my blog.
hugs,
Chris

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous! Oh how darn cool is this, fantastic!

Joy said...

This card is amazing!! That flower is something else!!xx