Sunday, July 25, 2010

Let your Light Shine

Hello everyone! Happy Sunday! I hope you have been having a wonderful Summer! I have been away and my last several posts were pre-scheduled, but I am back now and my family is here for the week! We are having a wonderful time enjoying the lake, day trips, and lots of fun time together!

Today's Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge has really been a fun one for me, and I hope it will be for you as well! Our hostess is Peggysue and she has chosen the verse from Luke 8:16

"No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a vessel or puts it under a bed, but sets it on a lamp stand, that those who enter may see the light."

The challenge is to make a votive holder or a card/project depicting a candle (light).

My Thoughts on this challenge

John 8:12 says "When Jesus spoke again to the people He said, I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life."

As we think about these verses about the true light, which is Jesus, we realize that when we know the Savior, we HAVE the Light of the world within us, and it is our responsibility to shine that light forth in all that we do, say and even think. As we strive to let the light of Jesus shine through us... people will be drawn to that Light... out of the darkness that is all around us in this world.

In Matt 5:14-16 Jesus says "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven". Our greatest desire should be to help bring people to that Light that can save them from the darkness of sin and it's penalty, which is death. When we have the Light of Jesus in us, we have the forgiveness of sins, the promise of heaven and eternity with Him, and the joy of an abundant life here on earth! Why wouldn't we want to shine that light for all to see and be drawn to?

For this week's challenge, I made a votive holder using the wonderful light house image from Our Daily Bread design's very first set, Light of the World. Having lived near the east coast for most of my life, I have a love of light houses, and I can't see one without thinking of these verses! If you have ever been on the water in the darkness of night when you cannot see anything... dangers are all around you but you cannot see them. But when you see that light house, shining out a beam of light to warn of dangers and make your course clear, you are filled with relief and thankfulness. In the same way.... when you look on the light of Jesus, you will be not only able to see the path before you clearly, but you will be filled with His light and life! I hope you are basking in the joy of His light today!

Card Details:
Stamps: Our Daily Bread designs "Light of the World"
Designer Paper: Paper House Products "Sea Scapes"
Accessories: Martha Stewart Shell Punch, Copics to color image (stamped and colored 4)
Vellum for the windows, Spellbinder's long oval die cut for windows, tutorial on SCS, battery operated votive candle

Our Sponsor this week is Karen's Doodles
Be sure to check out the Stampin Sisters in Christ Blog for all the details!

We'd love to have you play along... if you do, please place a link to the Stampin Sisters in Christ Blog in your post, and place a direct link to your project on the SSIC thread.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team for more inspiration for this week's challenge!
We're so excited that Miesje, Cindy and Rebekkah will be staying on as Design Team Members!
Chris
Cindy
Linda
Randi
Peggysue
Lisa
Miesje
Rebekkah

Have a blessed week and I hope to see you on Aug 1st when we reveal the brand new Our Daily Bread designs sets with a fun blog hop and prizes!

23 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is stunning Grace! I so love your use of the lighthouse and the paper is perfect!! Gorgeous Luminaria and take on the challenge my friend!! Beautiful message too! I hope you are having a great visit with the family!
hugs,
Chris

Becky said...

This is just stunning Grace!! I love this lighthouse and the oval opening for this project. Wonderful take on the message. Have a great day
Blessings
Rebekka

Miesje said...

This is amazing, that lighthouse is so perfect for this verse! I love when you said that the light IS in us and we have to let it shine!

Karen W said...

This is just awesome!!! Absolutely gorgeous and what a fabulous idea.

Cindy Coutts Designs said...

Grace, I'm speechless at the beauty of your votive. It's perfect. I am really so happy to be a part of this team and to get to know you better.

Crystal said...

Grace this is SOOOOO GORGEOUS I LOVE the lighthouse and your colors and this whole design!!! WOW WOW WOW stunning work!

Lori said...

A stunning scene, Grace! The lighthouse is, of course, perfect! Off to check out your guest book...

JaniceAileen said...

Grace-GORGEOUS! I love the colors and the design--everything! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Grace, this is the perfect image for this challenge and I must have this one soon!!! heehee The papers, colors, and punches pull it all together to send the message that He is the Light of the world. No wonder Kelley wanted this one. Have a great week.

Cheryl Walker said...

Beautiful Votive Grace!!! I love it, and the stamp you used and layout!!!!!!!

Hope you have a nice day!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Riet said...

ohhh wowww Grace,this is so beautiful,i love the image and your papers.

Hugs Riet.xx

Kristine said...

This is gorgeous Grace!! =) My parents have a lighthouse themed livingroom--some gorgeous paintings and scultures and this sort of thing would go perfectly. Very inspirational--I may just have to make something like this for them! Have a blessed Sunday and great week ahead!!

peggysue said...

This is stunning Grace! Such a beautiful use of that image and what a natural. I love the way you just have the vellum plain so the light shines through unobstructed with the lighthouse image alongside.

Kathy Jones said...

***THUD*** Oh My Gosh Grace!!!! This is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!! You are incredibly talented my friend!!!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Oh my goodness, Grace, this is beyond STUNNING!!! Your coloring is fabulous...I love everything about this beautiful creation!!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Francie G. said...

Grace, this is outstanding! Just gorgeous!

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

Oh my! This is fabulous, Grace! I love your lantern and I love the lighthouse set. The punched edge is wonderful.

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Grace - wow - this is fabulous! I love the lighthouse - what great symbolism!! Your colouring is fabulous Grace and the border punches erfect! Everything about this is perfect!
Love this! Thanks for sharing Grace- you always delight us with your projects! {{{hugs}}}

Traci S. said...

Oh, Dear Grace,

I love your luminary. It is truly a most beautiful piece of art. I love this set because of the Verses shared.

No matter how incredible your art is, your message always strikes me even more. It is so true what you say. I love how you reminded us that if we have Jesus the Christ in us...we have a command to let our (His) light shine!

I also have just returned home from a 17 day car ride visiting family up the east coast. I did receive that package...and I thank you so much. I hope you enjoyed it.

Grace, thank you always for speaking His Truth, for being so encouraging in everything, and for sharing such beautiful expressions of art with the world through your blog.

Remember~
He IS Able,
Traci S.

Denise Marzec said...

Oh my word, how absolutely STUNNING!!

Irena said...

Gorgeous cretaion.

Grace Baxter said...

Grace, you always make such beautiful cards. I want to pay tribute to you. Please visit my blog for a surprise!

Grace

Clare said...

I love your card, and I loved doing this challenge! You can see my card at queenteacuppapertreasures.blogspot.com