Monday, November 15, 2010

A Sister's Album begun

Sisters-cover

Hello friends! Today I am showing you a project I have been working on. It's a 5.5" x 11" chipboard album that I am making of my sisters. Since I have very few photos of us as kids, I wanted to try to make something that would tell our story a little bit for generations to come. I am working with very old black and white photos that are poor quality, making copies of them and trying to edit them to be a little better. In some cases that's working and in some it is not. Most of the time involved with this has been trying to get decent photos to put in the album.

Anyhoo... above is the cover for the album. I used designer papers from Prima "The Sasha Paper Collection". I stamped the flourish from Layers of Color Nature Walk clear art stamp set with White Craft and heat embossed directly on the dp, and added some Prima flowers and chip board letters from K&Co. I sewed around the edges and added some pearls and ribbon from my stash. The butterfly is from Layers of Color Flutterescent art stamp set and is stamped with Stazon on vellum and colored on the back. I have sponged on the flowers a bit to give them some age, since the pictures in this album will be old.

Sisters-page1fnl

This first page is using the same Prima pack for the designer paper, but I used Layers of Color Brick Wall and Garden Wall Frame cling art stamps. Again, this frame is designed for the Spellbinders Label 14. I colored lightly with Pebbles Chalks which are pearlescent. I added some flourishes from QuicKutz and punched edges made with 2 Martha Stewart edge punches and one EK Success punch. The butterfly is from Layers of Color Flutterescent art stamp set and has Stickles added, as do the flowers. My journaling card is Crafty Secrets and I surrounded that with flowers from LOC Merci Bouquet art stamp set and the little Chickadee from the LOC Backyard Birds art stamp set.

Here is some detail on the Brick Wall Frame and the brick wall. I love both of these and love them together! The brick wall can be stamped continuously for a solid wall too if you want that look.

Sisterspg2detailfnl

On this third page I used Layers of Color Victorian Frame cling art stamp which is designed to fit the Spellbinder's Label 14. I love this frame! I colored with Copics and then embossed with UTEE to give it a shine, cut out the inside and framed my picture. I wanted to add lots of pink to this one so I stamped the Layers of Color Cottage Rose cling art stamp and colored with Copics, and cut out. I paired that with Layers of Color Vintage Rose and Nature Walk clear art stamp sets, as well as a butterfly from Flutterescent art stamp set. My embellishments are only a sheer pink ribbon, heart charm that says "love" and a vintage brad as a center for my flower. I have done quite a bit of sponging to this page and it is matted with a pink piece of cs.

Sisters-page-2NR2

I have a long ways to go on this album but I wanted to show you what I have been working on so far. These first pictures are of my oldest sister, who passed away at the age of 44. Although she was 10 years older than me, we were still close. I will always miss her but this little memory book will be a great way to pass on some of my memories to my grandchildren who never knew her.

We are excited that Layers of Color is a preferred Spellbinder's Company!
Visit Layers of Color Art Stamps Group on Facebook, Layers of Color Art Stamps Group on Flickr ,
My Gallery on Layers of Color, The Designers Galleries On Layers of Color

I am entering these in the following challenges:
Critter Sketch - Texture (LOTS)
Little Paper Shop - Die cuts (Spellbinders Label 14)
Paper Playtime - About love or use something you love (my sisters)
Gingerloft - great outdoors ( birds, butterflies, photo of outdoors)
Let's Ink It Up NO DIGI STAMPS and recycle it (used cardboard from dividers in paper box)
Paper Sundaes - punches, ribbon, embossing, blue (at least 2 of these)
Cinema Saturday - a hint of lace (The cover has eyelet lace)
Fairy Tale - anything goes
AiFactory - die cut or punch
Cute Card Thursday - anything goes
Delightful Challenges - glitter
Paper Play - ribbon, lace and flowers (Ribbon is woven through lace on cover)
Creative Belli - I have old photos, new stamps, blue dp and coloring
Penny's Paper-Crafty - alter it(this album is made on cardboard dividers from paper box)

Thanks as always for visiting! Have a blessed week!

41 comments:

MariLynn said...

Grace what a great tribute to your sisters! I loved seeing the photos of your sister. I love your placement of the butterfly on the page with the brickwall frame.

Annette22 said...

wow, great job

thanks a lot for joining us at our very first Fairytale challenge

hugs

Annette

PokSa said...

It looks gorgeous! Beautiful work.
Thanks for joining us at the Fairy Tale Challenge.

Unknown said...

OMG your album is stunning, what a beautiful idea too. I just love it. Thanks for joining us at LIIU, hope you come back for our next challenge. Suzanne x

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Grace I love this! What a treasure to pass down for generations to come!

Anonymous said...

Hello a very beautiful album, the design is gorgeous.

Thanks for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge
Hugs Karla

Traci S. said...

Dear Grace~

This is such a beautiful and loving thing to give! It is beautiful and thoughtful! I love the way you are making each page. The colors the floursihes, the ribbons the beautiful butterfly and roses. Fabulous! The cover is amazing! Each flower is wonderful. The backgrounds are wonderful....There is so much love in this...It just oozes out!

I love your heart!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful gift.

He IS Able,
Traci S.

Fiona said...

Grace this is so delightful, the colours are awesome. Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week.

Fi

Vanja said...

Beautiful!
Thank you for joining us at CCT! :)

Hugs, Vanja

mum of two said...

What a beautiful project. I am sure it will be treasured! Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime this week.

Michelle

Crystal said...

Grace this is one stunning project!!!!! WOW what a wonderful sis you are they will go crazy over this!!!! BEAUTIFUL!

Dawn B. said...

This is really awesome Grace. What a great way to look back on all the memories you have.. Your grandkids will treasure this for years to come. You are so good at these books. I have mine on my shelf and can't wait to put it in my new stamp room.. May be done by the time I am a grandma..haha.Hugs to you.

ramlakmi said...

So beautiful...

Mickie said...

This is such a grand idea and will truly be a family heirloom. Great work! You are being such an enabler tho, gotta have those stamps. LOL

Georgia Ehrmann said...

What a wonderful project and a great family treasure! I lost my sister a few years ago and her memories are what sustain me now...I will always miss her but photos and memories keep her alive to all of our family!
Thank you for entering into our challenge at AiFactory this week with your wonderful project! We are having a Design Team call right now in case you are interested.I think you would be marvelous!
Hugs,
Georgia

Julye said...

What a fab keepsake and conversation piece too. Thanks for sharing it with us at Penny's and good luck in the draw.

darling Ho said...

What a gorgeous design!! All the details are perfect!
Thanks for you join our 1st challenge at Fairy Tale Challenge.
~~darling Ho~~ FTC DT

Bianca said...

This is such a lovely album! So many little details it looks like you had much work with it! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge. xx Bianca

The Mama Monkey said...

Wow Grace, what an amazing keepsake this will be!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

This is just gorgeous I love the wall, its my favourite bit lol
What a fantastic keepsake!
Thank You for joining us at Gingerloft this week, good luck!
Hugs Shell xx

Cec said...

Exquisite work and a wonderful way to keep your memories alive. Thanks for joining us at Delightful Challenges.
Hugs!
Cec

Anonymous said...

beautiful album! I love all the elements. Thanks for playing the critter sketch challenge.

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Oooo, can I be your sister? LOL! Oh, my this is SO special and SO beautiful, Grace! I love the colors, the feminine details and the loving mood...beautiful!!

Riet said...

This is so wonderful Grace,I love your papers and the colours.
So beautiful details.

Hugs Riet.x

Claire said...

Just beautiful! I love the colours and the stamps you've used are gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at LIIU and good luck
Claire xx

velta said...

Oh Grace what a wonderful tribute to your sister...Just lovely and what a thoughtful and giving person you are...I was told when I was very young..."Good people find one another!" I am glad I found you :)

Thebug415 said...

Oh very pretty. Thanks for joining us at the Creative Belli Challenge

Gloria Stengel said...

Stunning! I love mini albums and this is so beautiful. Thanks for playing at Paper Sundaes this week!

Agnieszka M said...

Oh, Grace, your album is beautiful. stamp you used is adorable.
Thanks for joning us at Lets Ink t Up this month and good luck!
Hugs
Agnieszka

Purple Crazy said...

Fab creation hun, it is lovely. Thanks for sharing with us at Gingerloft this week. xx

Lynn said...

Wonderful Creation and beautifully put together..
Thanks so much for joining us at Gingerloft Challenges :)
Lynn xx

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous sister's book Grace!! I just love all your details, colors and coloring!! What a beautiful way to treasure your memories!!
hugs my friend,
Chris

Colleen said...

Such a neat idea - it's beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Critter Sketch Challenges!

Shirl said...

I adore albums and this one is beautiful made with so much love and patience. Thanks for sharing with us at Let's Ink it Up.
Hugs Shirley x x

Darlene said...

This is just gorgeous Grace! Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge! Hope to see you again real soon!

marsha said...

This is just OTT - what a fabulous project! Thanks so much for joining us for this week's Critter Sketch Challenge and we hope you will join us again next week for another exciting challenge!
Hugs,
Marsha
CSCB-DT

Gloria Westerman said...

Oh Grace this is fabulous...and such a sweet tribute to you and your sister.....it will be kept for at least 100 years......tfs

Shelly Schmidt said...

Fantastic project- what a special gift for your sister! I am sure it will be cherished! Thanks for joining the Belli challenge.

Courtney said...

Beautiful project! Thanks for playing along with us at Penny's!!

Courtney~

~♥~The Navy Wife~♥~ said...

Oh WOW! So many details and it looks fantastic! I love all of it that I can't even pick a fav page! I love the papers you have used. Thank you for sharing and playing along with us at Gingerloft Challenges.

Kendra said...

This is such a great idea! What memories! Thanks for playing at Let's Ink It Up this month!