Monday, October 22, 2012

A glass block gift idea!


Hello my friends!  It's a beautiful October   Monday morning here... and I've been basking in all the beauty in God's creation!  I hope your week is off to a wonderful start!

Today I'm sharing a quick gift idea for the soon to be upon us Christmas season.  This is created with one of those glass blocks available in Hobby Lobby or most other craft stores, and a white wired small set of mini white lights.  I used this month's release from Our Daily Bread designs, O Christmas Tree.  I stamped, masked and heat embossed three of the tree images on a piece of acetate cut for the inside dimensions of the glass block.  I used Ranger Silver Embossing Tinsel for the sparkly effect.  After embossing, I rolled the acetate up to fit inside of the opening of the block, and positioned it against the front of the block.  I then inserted the lights, trying to evenly place the lights around the entire block.  To give the dreamy background, I cut some fine tulle and placed it around the lights to cover the wires and give the misty white background for my scene.  All I did for the outside of this particular block was to make a big bow with wired ribbon from Michael's last year, and adhere it to the top of the block.  I have made other blocks where I decorated the sides with ribbon and die cuts, but this one I kept simple.  The sky's the limit with these... so I hope you'll have some fun with it!  It would make a great gift for someone, but also a nice decoration for your own home.  

This week's Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge this week is brought to us by PeggySue and is based on this verse: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33  You really should read her devotional this week if you want to be blessed.The challenge is to make something that represents peace to you (not the symbol but a color combo, images, sentiment, etc)  This wintery  scene with the simple silver and white color combo makes me feel peaceful.  I always love when it snows and I'm warm and toasty in the house, feeling safe from the storm outside.  Today's devotional talks about the storms of life.... and how we handle them.  I hope you'll take time to read it!

I am also entering this in the following challenges:   Cards by Lady Anne / Monday Anything Goes ChallengeAlways Anything Goes, Craft My Life - anything but card/layouts - every time "Show what can you create", Crafty Bloggers Network -  Anything Goes,
Critter Sketch - Embossing, Make it Monday - always Anything Goes, Stamp and Create -  Winter Wonderland
Challenges 4 EverybodyAnything Goes

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a wonderfully blessed week!


40 comments:

Carla S. said...

Gorgeous project, Grace! How beautiful for the holidays! You are so creative! Hugs!

marion said...

Wow, what a fab project ! So nice, hugs, marion

kathi17 said...

This is so beautiful Grace!

Marsha said...

What a beautiful decoration for the home. I don't think I could make myself give it away if I made one. Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Anonymous said...

That is just lovely. Thank you for sharing it!

Mary Ann said...

Awesome!Great idea...

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous, lovely softness the tule gives to the lights and your stamping is Lovely, such a pretty bow to top it off!

Bobbi Miller said...

WOW! This is beautiful Grace! What a wonderful idea for a sweet gift, especially for a hostess around the Holidays. Thanks so much for sharing it! :-)

kiwimeskreations said...

Grace this is stunning - so simple in it's concept, beautifully created and just gaw-juss.
Blessings
Maxine

Anonymous said...

Wow Grace, this is gorgeous. I love the concept. Thanks for sharing.

Margie F.

Only By His Grace said...

This is so beautiful Grace. what a lovely gift idea.
Hugs Maz

mapowska said...

Hello Grace!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving so warm comment. Thanks for congratulations :)
I came to see your works but I couldn't choose which post to comment as I love all of them! :)
I've seen this one at MIM. It makes one feel peace. Thanks for this feeling :)
Cheers!

Pam said...

Wow! What a beautiful creation. Thank you for sharing how you made this. I am amazed how you got the image to stay in place. Love the bow.

I agree with some of the other comments. Very peaceful.

Happy I saw this on Make it Monday.

:)Pam

Judy W. said...

What a beautiful gift idea! Thanks a bunch for explaining how you created it! Glass blocks are now on my shopping list!

Scrappycath said...

Amazing. I love the staging of your photo too. You did a great job making this block! Saw this on MIM and so glad I did!!

JD/ Jill said...

Great gift idea...beautifully done!

Rosemary said...

this is absolutely gorgeous, grace!!

Pinkies Sparkly Creations said...

wow i love this great idea love the image thanks for joining us at critter sketch and good luck emma xx

lalkygirl said...

what a wonderful idea,such a pretty elegant creation....love it
thanks for joining us at MIM and good luck
tracey x

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I noticed you had posted this on Make It Monday. Wow! This is absolutely stunning Grace!! I just love the sheer elegance of it. You are so uber talented and creative my friend!! TTYL~
hugs,
Chris

cyndie2010 said...

Oh Grace, that is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing all your projects. Cyndie

Becky said...

Grace, this is fabulous! I have made one using sand and seashells but haven't attempted the lights & images but I'm dying to try it after seeing yours! You are always so innovative, creative, and inspiring!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful project!

Sharon said...

Love, your project thanks for sharing at Lady Anne's challenge.

Donna Ellis said...

What a marvelous home decor item! It's beautiful. It would be a lovely gift, too. Thank you for sharing how you created it!

Ann said...

Beautiful! Saw this on MIM.

Unknown said...

Grace this is a gorgeous project! I have tried glass block before and it doesn't turn out for me the way this one did! Lovely imagery, well laid out and such great details! Thanks for posting this week on our challenge at Stampin' Sisters in Christ, sister! :)

Sandy said...

So lovely. Thanks for joining us at Challenges 4 everybody. Good luck! Sandy :)

Creations by Shirl said...

Adorable! Thanks for joining us at Critter Sketch Challenge.

Traci M said...

Grace, your project is so inspirational and beautiful, it reminds me of the scene I had looking out my window today with our first real snowfall!! I am so inspired by this...and I am sorry I always ask more questions...but curious when you stamped on acetate, how did it not smear the ink? I think I will try stamping and embossing this weekend and see if it works!! I hope you are well and thanks so much for sharing your beautiful project with Stampin' Sisters in Christ this week!!

Ger said...

Amazing project, beautifully done. Thankyou for joining us this month at Crafty Bloggers Network.

Geraldine M
CBN DT

Janine said...

Absolutely gorgeous

MariLynn said...

Grace, this is wonderful, amazing, beautiful... I can feel the glow! I'm so glad that you shared it on SSIC I would have missed it otherwise. HUGS!!

sgc said...

Fantastic card. Thanks for playing in the Critter Sketch Embossing Challenge.

Leanne ... said...

Your so right on this one Grace. It would make a lovely, lovely gift. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs & Blessings...Leanne

Clover said...

This is really a great read for me. Thank you for publishing articles having a great insight stimulates me to check more often for new write ups. Keep posting!

Clover
www.n8fan.net

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed! What a lovely idea. I may well have a try myself. Hugs.

Linda

baboon said...

Thanks for sharing that material your blog is very useful. I’ll probably be back to read more.

www.n8fan.net

Natalia Blanco said...

What beautiful is. Lovely Project.

Karen A. said...

What color was the tulle you used? Is that what gives it such a golden glow? I love it!