Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A little stamping and a little sewing!

dogbed4lauren

Hello my friends!  I hope you are having a wonderful week!!!

Today I wanted to share something I made for my granddaughter's birthday coming up next week!  (She doesn't go on the computer or I'd be worried about her seeing this! LOL).  Anyway.... for Christmas she got one of the American Girl doll's doggies, and that makes 2 doggies for her now and she really wanted a bed for them.  So.... since I  made her curtains for her room, I bought extra fabric to make sheets and pillows for her AG doll bed, and this little doggie bed. The  doggie bed at AG costs $22.00!  You're kidding!!! LOL!  Anyway.... this month's set, Paw Prints from Our Daily Bread designs provided the perfect little paw print stamp for the inside fabric.  I stamped it with Stazon Ink directly on some fabric. When stamping on fabric, you want to let the stamp rest on the fabric for a moment longer than on you do on paper, to be sure it has absorbed all the ink. 

I used a 7" square for the bottom, and 4 x 7" pieces for the sides.  I formed a paper pattern for the cut out in the front, and cut the fabric accordingly.  I cut the same pieces from my outside fabric and some batting.   I sewed right sides together and then inserted the lining into the bed and sewed along the top edge.  Then I added the seam binding to the edges.  I then made the pillow for the bottom using a piece of cardboard for the base, added a couple layers of batting, then the paw print fabric, adhering to the back of the cardboard.  I covered the back with more fabric and viola... a doggie bed.  Very simple once I figured out my sizes. 

I added the little banner (Spellbinders Ribbon Banners) which I stamped with the sentiment from Paw Prints with Regal Rose and sponged with T Holtz Worn Lipstic Distress Ink.  I wish I had my granddaughter's puppies to show in this bed, but anyway... you get the idea.  It's fun to take stamping to a different level sometimes.... and this month's sets were just too perfect not to use on this project!  Hope you were inspired in some small way to get stamping and maybe even sewing!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

18 comments:

EllenaElizabeth said...

That's just lovely Grace. I'm not up with all the current fads, but are you talking about toys or real dogs?

Grace said...

Hi EllenaElizabeth! These are toys... they go with the American Girl dolls, which are 18" dolls, and the dogs are sized for them... very sweet!

Unknown said...

Oh Grace that is absolutely adorable! She will always remember her grandma made this for her!

Barbara said...

This is too cute!! Your granddaughter will love it. Have you made her AG doll clothes too? I have a request from my GD to make her some soon...!Have to ask if she has a toy dog.

Dawn B. said...

I love homemade from the heart gifts. This is adorable Grace. My girls all had AG dolls. I have them in storage for my grandkids some day. Love this.

kiwimeskreations said...

this is beautiful Grace - great way to use your stamps :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Becky said...

Grace, this is just too cute! My granddaughter is also into AG but I'm not sure I would attempt something like this....I am very impressed that you did this. I'm sure she will love it!!!

Carla S. said...

What a wonderful gift for your granddaughter, Grace! Your talents know no bounds! It turned out beautiful! I'm sure she will be thrilled to receive it!

marion said...

This looks awesome, I know my two cats would love this one !! looks so soft to lay on. Hugs, Marion

JD/ Jill said...

How adorable! Great job with this!

Traci S. said...

Grace, you are the sweetest person! Your grand-daughter is going to love this. Don't be surprised if she comes to you with a list of friends who want an "original" also! It looks wonderful! You are so creative, and such a great friend.

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

"I always thank God as I remember you in my prayers."--Daily! (Philemon)

You May Receive 1-5 Cards!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com

Magi said...

Grace, This little doggie bed is adorable! You always come up with the cleverest ideas; and your granddaughter will cherish this one forever! Blessings to you and yours . . . Hugs, Magi

Anonymous said...

Grace: You are a "special" grandmother. You granddaughter is going to love this doggie bed. It is so adorable. You are sooooo talented. Thanks for sharing.

Margie F.

Traci M said...

Oh, Grace, this just brings back so many memories...you are one special grandma to make this!! I love the idea of a matching set with her AG beds, too! Oh to have your talent!! Our girls both had American Girl dolls and am saving them. I have the bunk beds , but no special bedding like this! :)

Clare said...

You're just a "Jill" of all trades, aren't you? How cute! Lucky girl! Beautiful job.

Merilee Lane said...

So adorable, Grace--I just love it! Don't you enjoy making things for your grandchildren! Most of the projects I create are for them and I love every minute of it. :o)


Thanks for sharing!
Merilee

Mary Ann said...

Awesome! Your granddaughter is going to love it ...Have a Bless one...

Becca Feeken said...

Grace what an amazing creation!! Thank goodness for granddaughters and moreover, than goodness for grandma's!!