Sunday, April 10, 2011

Shadow Box for Easter

Shadow-Box-1

Hello everyone! Happy Sunday, and it's time for another Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenge! Today our hostess is the so sweet and talented Kristine Breach! Kristine has chosen Mark 15:17 "They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him." (CONTEXT PASSAGE: See Mark 15: 16-20)

Kristine's Challenge is to use shades of purple as your main color AND/OR use wood paper or elements on your card.

Shadow-Box-2

I decided that with this Scripture passage in mind, and Easter almost upon us, I would combine a couple sets and make a diorama card. I used the directions from SCS. I changed it bit, using an oval in two sizes for my scene instead of the three little punches in the instructions, and I changed the size of mine. I love that you can make a complete little scene and then fold it flat and fit it in an envelope!

Anway... I used Our Daily Bread designs Bird Borders and Corners and He Will Rise sets. The base for this diorama is a lavender card stock from atd pastel pack. I used Flourishes White to stamp my cross scene on, then I masked and air brushed the sky, colored the crosses and extended the foreground of the scene a bit, coloring with Copics and doodling in with marker. I then made the middle panel out of the lavender cs, cutting and embossing the opening with the largest oval of my Spellbinders Classic Ovals Small with my Grand Calibur. I wanted to have the greenery of the grasses and leaves extending over my opening but did not have purple Stazon Ink, which is what would have been perfect for stamping on acetate. So... necessity being the mother of invention, I stamped on acetate with VersaMark and embossed with Ranger Lavender Glitter Embossing powder. I actually came out pretty! I was surprised! LOL! So I decorated the acetate layer and adhered it right to the middle panel. For the front panel I measured and cut my oval with the largest oval from my Spellbinders Classic Ovals Large from the same lavender cs. For the front and sides of the diorama, I matted on Flourishes White. I stamped all the verses and images with Memento Grape Ink, adhered and added a few roses and boughs.

Shadow-Box-3

While it is so painful to read the Biblical account of Christ's suffering and death on the cross... there really is no more beautiful story than that of the cross! In it we see how truly loved and valuable we are to our Savior! In it we see what sacrificial love looks like! In it we see the release from the penalty of sin that is ours because He who knew no sin took upon Himself our sins, and by His wounds, we are healed. In the cross and subsequent resurrection... we have our assurance that we too will live eternally with Him when our life on earth is over! If He did not rise triumphant from that grave, we would in deed have no hope! But He did, and we do! As we approach this Easter season, lets be sure we take the time to thank Him for the sacrifice He paid, really reflect on all it means to us, and lets commit to live whatever days we have here on earth... for HIS glory!

This week's sponsor is Simon Says Stamp.
The prize is "Why Do Birds Fall in Love" Stamp Set!
We want to thank Simon Says Stamp for their continued support of SSIC!

For the complete details on the challenge and our sponsor, please see the SSIC Blog.
For more inspiration on today's challenge, please visit my DT Sisters:
Chris, Linda, Peggysue, Miesje, Rebecca, Lisa , Kris, Sabrina, & MariLynn
Randi (is on leave)

I am entering this in the following challenges: Card Creations & More By C - Spring related -(Easeter is spring), Challenge Up Your Life - Masking Technique (I masked the crosses to color the sky), Little Claire's - Any Celebration with Spring Theme or Colours (Easter), Make it colorful - must include colouring - Colouring Skies, Our Daily Bread Designs - No Ribbon, Digi's With Attitude! - Easter, Fun with Shapes & More - must include die cut/punch - Easter, Mami Doodles - Use a punch or die cut, Patties Creations - Easter or Spring, Phindy’s Place - Easter, Stampin For The Weekend -Easter, AiFactory - Easter, Craft Us Crazy - Easter/ Spring, Meljens Designs - Easter, The Rubber Cafe - Easter/Spring., Amber's Crafts and Stuff - use a new technique (heat embossed with glitter ep on acetate), Crafts and Me - glitter (second layer is heat embossed with glitter ep), Simon Says Stamp - Spring colors/Easter, Flourishes Bring Back the Beautiful - the colors of spring, The Stamp Man - embossing (middle layer has acetate heat embossed with glitter ep)

Thanks so much for stopping, for your sweet comments... and have a blessed week!

64 comments:

Shazza said...

this is beautiful x

Auntie Em said...

Soo pretty! I love the depth and the glitter embossing in the middle layer is so pretty. The stamping on the sides really gives it such a nice finish touch. A real treasure!
Thank you for sharing! :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Grace!! This is incredible!! Gorgeous!! Your shading in the background and design are stunning!! This is jaw dropping my friend. Such richness and depth!!
hugs,
Chris

Hellma said...

You have made such a wonderful shadow box card, i love the color.

Karen W said...

Wow this is amazing, just awesome!

Sandra DeFalco said...

Grace - WOW! Your creation is gorgeous, I love this shadow box, great dimension!
Thanks for playing in our 'Easter or Spring Theme' challenge!
♥ Sandi
DT Coordinator for Pattie's Creations Challenge!
and Pattie's shop
Home of Pattieboop and Allie!

Carla S. said...

This is absolutely amazing, Grace! What a stunning project! I love the rich purple and all the incredible details! Have a blessed Sunday!

Miesje said...

Gulp - Wow - Amazing! I am at a loss for words here. I really love this Grace! I have never tried one of those cards, in fact I have not seen any - now that is on my list too! Have a fantastic week!

Julie Koerber said...

Wow Grace, what an amazing creation! This is just too pretty for words!

Sherry Kushibab said...

Oh my!!! This is absolutely stunning...I just keep staring at it and finding new details...amazing. TFS - Blessings.

velta said...

Oh Grace this is just beautiful!!! Your talent is the best ever! Thank you for sharing and giving me inspiration!!!

Regena said...

WOW!! that is simply stunning..would love to try making one too..but dont have the supplies u used..thanks for sharing..Have a blessed Easter!! Thanks be to God for His Amazing Grace

NancyD said...

Grace, I am deeply moved by your post and beautiful diorama card. You have captured the simplicity and beauty of the cross and the message. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Francie G. said...

Grace, this is over the top outstanding! Your details are amazing! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Designing with Debbie said...

I just want to say this is one of the most gorgeous projects I have ever seen. The shades of purple that you used are stunning. I love the ODBD stamp with the 3 crosses. You are very talented. Thanks for your inspiration

Kristine said...

Grace, this is absolutely GORGEOUSNESS girl!! So pretty in every way!! Didn't anyone ever tell you you're not suppose to "show up" the hostess?? LOL!! ((Totally kidding!!)) This is so wonderful, lovely project.

Riet said...

What a beautiful box Grace.

Hugs Riet.xx

ChristineCreations said...

Grace this is just amazing. So many beautiful details, such elegance and meaning, and the purple is perfect! A beautiful masterpiece!

CraftinGranny said...

This is gorgeous Grace! I love the purples. TFS "Hugs" Carol

Wendy M said...

Breathtaking... I have never seen anything so beautiful in the craft world. It is stunning. And once again Grace, your words explain the cross simply and equally beautifully.

WOW

Lovely Linda said...

WOW Grace - this is a masterpiece! I love it in everyway! Gorgeous share of purple and stunning stamping!! Your techniques works wonderfully and have brought your gorgeous scene to life - on many levels! Your are ROCKING Blogville with your amazing projects lately Grace - and I am loving it! {{{hugs}}}

Natasha said...

This is a wonderful card. I've never seen anything like it, ever. Truly beautiful. Thanks for playing along at Amber's Crafts and Stuff.

Natasha
Crafting Pal - www.amberscraftsandstuff.com

Only By His Grace said...

Hi Grace!
Your card is wonderful. I love it all in that gorgeous purple. The whole card is beautiful.
Hugs Maz

Unknown said...

This card is absolutely amazing! I just love the purple's you've used! Thanks so much for joining us at Meljen's Designs!

Betty Wright said...

Gorgeous, Grace! I do not think I have seen a diorama card before! Stunning design and look! Beautifully done!

Unknown said...

O.k. hope I'm remembering this right. The pictures at the bottom of post, is called Linkwithin, and I think it's under gadgets or widgets, but not positive. It's been a while since I put it on there...if you can't find it, let me know and I'll try searching and see if I can find it again. :O)

Unknown said...

Your shadow box is beautiful! I love it!!!!!

Stempelhexe said...

Was für eine tolle Idee und Umsetzung, eine exellente Box.

LG
Ulla

Anniebee said...

Another gorgeous project, Grace! You always create such lovely things and this shadowbox is no exeption. Just had to stop by and say hi!

Anne
anniebeescraftroom.blogspot.com

kiwimeskreations said...

Just stunning, Grace!! Love it :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Angela Weimer said...

Such an interesting piece. Love the depth in it. Thanks for sharing and have a great day. Angela

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

This is so beautiful!

THERESA said...

This is so stunning and yes, i have been blessed in reading your post and looking at your creation, thanks so much!!
Thanks for joining us over at Pattie's Creations............:))
lotsa luv and be BLESSED!!!

Beeceecreativity said...

OMG this is stunning and gorgeous...
thanks for playing along at Pattie's Creations and hope to see you again.. hugs Bev PC DT

Anita said...

Wow, this is a beautiful shadow box. Thanks for joining in the Meljen's Designs challenge this week.

Kathy said...

This is so pretty, what a show piece you've created. Love it. Thanks for joining us at Phindy's Place this week.

Traci S. said...

Oh Grace, this is so beautiful and meaningful! I love what you wrote...so clear...so True. I love the colors...the color of Majesty! And, the stamping is just amazing! The birds and corners are lovely. The Scripture stings...catches my breath...as it should. I love the way you used the embossing glitter, it is beautiful how it extends. I love everything about this special project!

He IS Able,
Traci S.

Dawn B. said...

Wow Grace..this is so pretty. I love the deep colors. What a great idea. Your work here is fantastic.. Love this.

Louise said...

This is so eye-catching - great colours and dimension.
Thank you so much for joining us at Little Claire's Designs x

Anne Temple said...

How beautiful!! Love the colors you chose. So glad you joined us for the Easter challenge at AiFactory this week.

Tine said...

Hi. Stunning creation of the true meaning of Easter. Thanks for joining us at Phindy's Place this week.
Tine :)

Payne Holler Cards said...

jaw dropping gorgeous! how beautiful!!!

I so pray that souls are saved through this wonderful post and testimony to our Lord and Saviour!

The Crazy Crafting Lady said...

This is stunning!

Thank you for trying out a new technique this week and sharing it with us at Amber's Crafts and Stuff.

~*~Amber~*~
www.amberscraftsandstuff.com

Tracey said...

This is beautiful & so elegant :)
Hugs
Tracey
x

Pattie G said...

What a beautiful shadow box! I love how you used our Spring theme for this week’s challenge. Thanks for joining us this week at Pattie’s Creations Design Challenge.
Hugs ♥

The Crazy Crafting Lady said...

Hi,

Your card was chosen as a finalist at Amber's Crafts and Stuff.

Hop on back to our blog and grab your finalist blinkie at the bottom of this post.

http://www.amberscraftsandstuff.com/2011/04/finalists-and-winner-for-challenge-4.html

Congrats. We hope to see more of your awesome work in future challenges.

Berry said...

What an incredible shadow box! Great work thanks for playing at SFTW hugs Rebekah xx

Sprytebyrd said...

Beautiful card!
Thanks so much for playing along at Meljen's Designs this week!
Hugs!! Dee Sprytebyrd's Sentiments

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous box card Grace ,, stunning worK , the image and colours are fabulous ,,,, brilliant ! :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Anniebee said...

Hi, Grace! Your shadowbox is absolutely stunning! I'm sure our Lord is pleased that you use your artistic gift to honor Him.

Mami Doodles said...

Work of art! Many thanks for taking part in the Mami Doodles challenge.

Lisa said...

great card!Thanks for playing at Mel Jen's this week:).

Hugs,
Lisa

Teresa Arsenault said...

This is marvelous, Grace. I love your design and I love even more your testimony. Blessings, Teresa

Rushd Lady said...

You inspired me with this lovely project. Thank you! :)

pescbrico said...

This is such a STUNNING project! I just could not pass by without letting you know! Have a wonderful day.

Nicole said...

Grace, you are our random winner at Meljen's Designs this week! Contact me for your prize! Congratulations on your win and we hope you share your beautiful work with us again each week!

Blessings, Nicole
Meljen's Designs Design Team Coordinator

Manuela said...

Wow, a wonderful piece of art! Great :)
Thanks for playing with us at Challenge up your life!

Unknown said...

That was just beautiful.

Pat

Dianne said...

This is a masterpiece! I simply LOVE it! It is like God made it through you! Thank you somuch!

Lori Ell said...

So beautiful. I love the sentiment
Such detail and great colors too

Patti J said...

Don't know how I missed this, Grace, but I did. What an incredibly beautiful creation. You are remarkable, my friend! Absolute creative genius! Hugs!!!

Jan Keen said...

This is STUNNING!! JanK

Katherine said...

Beautiful card.

Anonymous said...

hi,
i am new and this is indeed beautiful, but, how did you actually make the box?? or did you use a box?? i would love to give it a try..thanks so very much !
cheryl