Friday, June 5, 2015

Be a Ray of Sunshine!


 Hello my friends!  I hope you are all doing well!!!

We are having unseasonably cool weather for June here in NC, but it's perfect for getting things done as the temps are "just right" in by book!  I tend to wilt in the hot summers with the heat and humidity we have here, so I'm really enjoying this little cool spell. 

Today I have a card to share that I made using this month's ODBD release, Hello Sunshine, along with the Sunburst Background Die. I also used the past releases: Pennant Die set and Recipe Card and Tags Die.  I am in love with this fun Hello Sunshine set!  It is simple enough to make a quick card, but with the detailed Sunray Backgorund die, it can still create a card full of fun!  

For this one, I started with a YoYo Yellow base, and I used a Neenah Solar White panel to emboss the sunray background.  White it was still in the die, I used my VersaMark pen to ink over some of the white sunrays, and then took it out of the die and heat embossed with Iridescent Clear embossing powder.  This gives a wonderful shimmer and acts as a resist for the next step.  I sponged orange and yellow on to some other rays, and then I placed two pennants from the Pennant Die set end to end, adhered them together, and did the same technique on it to line up with the background die.  I stamped the sentiment from Hello Sunshine on the lower part and adhered to the background.  I stamped the smiley face on yellow card stock, embossed the edges with the same iridescent clear  powder, and adhered it to the pennant.  The entire sunray background is adhered to the yellow base with dimensional foam tape and this allows you to see light through the piercings of the die and brings it forward more.  I kept it simple by adding just a little yellow bow for embellishment.

This set with it's sentiments brings to mind a song we used to sing in Sunday School and Bible School when I was a kid.  "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam".    The lyrics went like this:

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam
To shine for him each day;
In ev'ry way try to please him,
At home, at school, at play.

 Jesus wants me to be loving
And kind to all I see,
Showing how pleasant and happy
His little one can be.

Chorus
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
I'll be a sunbeam for him.
Words: Nellie Talbot
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851-1921 
Does anybody else remember this little song?  Happy memories, and packed with good lessons!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Hugs,


9 comments:

Becky said...

What a fabulously happy card Grace .. Put's a smile on my face :)

Marsha said...

What a fun, sunny card. I remember that song. In fact, I sang it to my kids and now my grandchildren.

Conniecrafter said...

That is a cute card, and sentiment is so good for many occasions

wannabcre8tive said...

This is so cute. I just love the sun shine stamps.

kiwimeskreations said...

Wha a wonderful card Grace - love the cheerful colours. That die is fabulous, and I am loving the way you have used it.
Blessings
Maxine

Jerri Kay said...

So precious Grace, what a happy card to gift someone with! Just Precious!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Grace, what a fabulous happy, happy card! I love it, and it surely is even more beautiful IRL! And, yes, I remember well singing that song a LOT as a child! I still love it! Thanks for the memories and..as always...a beautiful card!! Put a smile on my face! Hugs, sweet friend, and I'm glad you are having weather that agrees with us!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a happy and cheery card, Grace!! I just love the sunburst and your gold and white combo with the happy face and layout is gorgeous my friend!!
hugs,
Chris

Cindy Beach said...

Love your happy card Grace! I'm a DDA girl new to your blog but I just had to comment on the sweet song. I never learned it as a child but I sang it with our children. Now that I have a GD I'm glad to be reminded about it. Great message for everyone. Thanks for making me smile today!