Thursday, January 6, 2011

Altered Acrylic Tissue Box


Tissue-Box-corners-1

TO ENTER MY BLOG CANDY PLEASE CLICK HERE!
Hello everyone!
If you are here to enter my Blog Candy Drawing, please click HERE.
Today...I wanted to share a project I have been working on. I bought this lovely acrylic tissue box from Hobby Lobby. It retails for $9.99 but with the 40% off coupon you can get it for only $6.00. It is sturdy and really a beautiful design. There are so many possibilities for it! I originally was going to make a 4 seasons box, using one season for each side, but decided to make all 4 sides for one season and change the entire box up every season. It's as easy as making 4 cards!

Here is what you actually get when you buy the box.


There are 3 parts to the box. The basic box (left rear), an insert which will hold your pictures in place (front center) and an outer box (top right) which slides down over the top after you have inserted your tissue box. It frames each side and has the tissue cut out in the top. I hope that explains it OK. The box comes with pictures and templates for each side, because they are not equal. Two sides are larger because the acrylic wall comes to the edge, and the two narrower sides just but up to the first two sides. So be sure to use the paper inserts as your template for the size you make each insert.


This is how it looks assembled but with no inserts.


First, you will want to make an insert for the top of the tissue box so you won't be looking at the cardboard tissue box, but a pretty coordinating paper. To do this I simply took the top of the box, laid it on my card stock and drew the pattern. I then found a Classic Oval Spellbinders die that fit that cut out about perfectly, centered that and cut it out.


I matted mine with some Martha Stewart card stock and then used pretty pink patterened paper from the Memory Box Gossamer 6 x 6 pack.


This is how it looks in the box.



Next I used my template sizes to create my four springy sides. I used a couple brand new ODBD sets, and a couple favorite past release sets. For my first side, I used this month's release "Butterfly Corner" and a sentiment from the "Faith" set, as well as the "Small Butterfly Background" stamp.

Tissue-box-Butterfly-Corner



I colored the Butterfly corner design with Copics (Y13, Y15, Y17, V09, V15, V17). Next I lightly airbrushed the background using V000, V12, B00 and Y11. I then made a mask of the corner and stamped the Small Butterfly Background with VersaColor White. I lightly brushed the design with yellow and green Pearlescent Chalks by Pebbles. I then spritzed the entire thing with Pearl Glimmer Mist. Wish you could see the shimmer! This "set" the chalks as well. I stamped my sentiment and cut it out with Spellbinders Label 10, matted with my purple cs (EK Success Purple Helliotrop) and matted the whole panel in the same purple. Side 1 was done and I was ready to start side 2.

Tissue-Box-Faith-side1


For side 2 I used this month's release "Faith" for both my verse and my butterflies. I stamped the butterfly design twice, colored with Copics (Y13, Y15, Y17, G20, G82, E35, E37, E15, V04, V06, V12). I fussy cut the butterflies out so that I could lace them into my Spellbinder's Lattice Pendant cut out, which I had sponged with VersaMagic Purple Hydrangea. I adhered everything to the same designer paper as side 1 and matted with the same purple cs.


Tissue-Box-side-4



For my third side I used the Fuchsia images from both "From Me To You" and "God Loves You" sets, stamping on pure white and stamping an extra image for cutting out and popping up. I colored my image with Copics: RV06, RV09, RV11, RV17, RV19, V15, V17, G20, G21, YG67, G24. I used the same purple cs as my mat for the panel, and I used this wonderful Lamentations 3:21-13 Scripture from the "Scripture Collection 1" set for my focal point. This is one of my favorite Scriptures and I wanted to see this every morning as a reminder of God's Faithfulness and His great mercies for me... and how they are new every morning! I stamped this verse directly on the Memory Box Gossamer designer paper and cut with Spellbinders Classic Squares. I matted in black using Spellbinders Lacey Squares.

Tissue-Box-Sing-to-the-Lord

For my last panel, I used an all time favorite, "Sing to the Lord" for my bird and flower images. For my verse I used "You Will Find Refuge". This again is a favorite Scripture of mine! I can't tell you how many times this verse comes to my mind when life's storms seem to surround and encompass me! The designer paper is Memory Box, the cs is Martha Stewart. I colored with Copics: R81, R83, R85, R000, RV10. E15, E35, E37, E31, W3, W5, G40. G82. I also highlighted with Spica Clear and Yellow Glitter Pens. I used a Martha Stewart Lattic Punch and cut some extra flower images out to weave into the lattice.

The assembly of the tissue box is very straight forward. You insert each side panel into the basic box, and slide the inner frame inside the basic box, forming a sealed window for each side panel.



Finally, you insert a tissue box, and then slide the outter frame over top of the whole thing and you have a beautiful gift or something you will keep and enjoy yourself!

Tissue-Box-singfaithsidenew

In making this I used the 11 elements challenge from Shabby Tearoom. They are Acrylic Box, Designer Paper, Copics, MS Punch, Glimmer Mist, Chalks, SB Label 10, SB Lattice Pendant, SB Lacey Circle, Card Stock, Scissors for hand cut work.

I have already started the panels for a Winter Tissue Box Cover, and have plans for a fall one as well! I hope you are inspired to try one for yourself and have fun with it! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Blessings,


Challenges I am entering my creation in:
Marks Finest Paper - Use Something New - New Faith set from ODBD and new copics- I Did It Creations - Favourite technique coloring with copics- Really Reasonable Ribbon- Something new- stamps Paper Sundaes (3 entries) - Something New-new stamp and copics Paper Issues - 'New'-stamps My Time to Craft - Up in the Air - birds and butterflies )Lil Red Wagon - Leftovers-ribbon, Cardmakin' Mamas - Anything Goes CES - Anything Goes Craft your Days Away - Punches or Diecuts Craft Your Passion - Anything GoesPapertake Weekly - Anything Goes Ladybug Crafts Ink - Anything GoesFrosted Designs - Use a SentimentPile it on- Something new (stamp and couple of copics) Tuesday Throwdown- Embossing- embossed spellbinders die cuts, Victorine Stamps - Anything Goes Pixie Cottage- punches (MS Lattice) Corrosive Challenge - purple and yellow, One Stitch at a time - Anything Goes, Paper Sundaes - Something New (new releases and tissue box cover), Quirky Crafts - New Beginnings (Tissue box cover and new release stamp sets), Creative Inspirations - use something new (stamps), Whoopsi Daisy - free and easy, Kaboodle Doodles - Anything goes, Shabby Tearoom - 11 elements,

53 comments:

Crystal said...

Good Morning Grace, this is sooooooo beautiful WOW lots of beautiful images and I LOVE your color combo..You did such an amazing job on this project!! Absolutely GORGEOUS sweetie!! Have a wonderful day!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a beautiful project. Love the colors and everything about it. What great gifts these will make.

Blessings!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Oh Grace, this is stunning through and through!! I know we have talked about it and I have seen some photos but none of our conversations do this justice. It is over the top!! I love every detail!! You are so incredibly talented and creative my friend!!
hugs,
Chris

Lisa Jane said...

what a beautiful work of art . The images and sentiments are just wonderful.
A lot of hard work and full of love i can see
Thanks for sharing it with us at LCI this week
Lisa ;)

Rosietoes said...

Oh my word that's gorgeous Grace. So much work but what a beautiful gift for someone or to spoil yourself.

Happy new year and every blessing.

Edna x

Barb Craft said...

Grace... this is spectacular!! I love that you included your favorite Bible verses on each side and the way you framed them and embellished around them are just stunning! Thanks for taking on our quote challenge at Frosted Designs this week!
Barb :)

Katie said...

This is stunning, so much gorgeous work!
Thanks for playing in The Pixie Cottage this week :)

Becky said...

Girl-This is just FABULOUS! Love the gorgeous colors and coloring.
Thank you for playing with Speedy's Friends.

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

Love it!! Such a great creation!

Thank you for sharing with us at Craft Your Passion & OSAAT this week, good luck!
Hugs Shell xx

peacefulgardens said...

That is a beautiful project. Thanks for sharing this great idea with us.

Whimsey said...

What a beautiful projects, lots of great details! Made with lots of love...

LOVE the sentiments!

Thanks for joining LCI's challenge!

pinky said...

So beautiful and very useful. Thanks for playing along at LCI this week.
Pinky

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Grace - this is absolutely stunning. Your images and sentiments are beautiful, and the colouring is perfection. Thank you so much for sharing with us at OSAAT. Hugs, Sylvia xxx

Nicole said...

Beautiful! I must say, that is the prettiest box of tissues that I have ever seen! Thanks for playing along with us at TSTR !:)

Traci S. said...

Oh, Grace~

This is just incredible! Your art on each side is just amazing! The colors, the Scriptures...so you see them first thing in the morning...wonderful! I can't imagine which side I would display as the front. It would be an impossible decision. You used such amazing images and Verses.

This would be a wonderful and light weight Holiday or Birthday gift for your loved ones. It would be so personal, and useable! I wonder if you need to laminate it, so they don't get drops of water into the container? I know this would make an Amazing gift to anyone! You could sell these for quite a bit!
I LOVE the way this project came out, can you tell!??!

Thank you so much for breaking it all down for us. I read it on the ODBD blog, but the photos here really do it more justice...it is worth the space on the blog to do larger photos on the ODBD blog, imo.

God Bless!

He IS Able,
Traci S.

Yvonne Hagane said...

Wow- that is just gorgeous. Brilliant idea!!

Sadilla said...

Great box!!! Great job! Thanks for playing at The pixie Cottage
hugs
sadia

Vicki Dutcher said...

What a fabulous box!! Thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends!

Virgo5 said...

WOW fabulous project, beautifully done! TFS your pictures are so nice & clear.
Thanks for playing with Speedy's Friends!

PapierGirl said...

How creative and beautiful! Thanks for joining us this week at TSTR! :)

Heidi said...

I do love this sweet box. I may just have to go to HL. You did a beautiful job on this and what a lovely gift.

Tanya said...

Great tissue cover. I love the colors :)

Thanks for joining us at Victorine Originals this week!

velta said...

Oh my word ... This is just stunning Grace!!! What a lovely gift idea...Have got to get to HL to get a couple of these for B'day gifts...thanks to you...Thank you for sharing your beautiful creations this past year...and Happy New year to you and yours :)

Francie G. said...

Grace, you have out done yourself! This is over the top, GF! So many beautiful details! I think I might have to invest in one of these acrylic boxes! Would make a beautiful gift! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

Wow, this is stunning! Thanks for posting the tutorial! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Throwdown! We hope to see you again next week!

Lauren

Linda Carson said...

Oh my! This is one jaw-dropping piece of artwork! Gorgeous!

Rleen said...

WOW! Grace your creation is stunning! I love all the details and you know I love to alter stuffs too. Thanks for the inspirations! You did a fabulous job.
Thanks for sharing with us at the Whoopsi Daisy. Hope to see you again next week challenge.
Hugs, Rleen

Diane Noble said...

Beyond gorgeous as ever, Grace! I've been wanting to make one of this. Glad for the source on the acrylic goods.

I would like to invite you to a blog hop I"m hosting. Great group, wonderful projects and yummy BLOG CANDY!

cheryl said...

oh wow this is just incredible gosh the design,the detail everything about this is just brilliant, bless you for playing at the pixie cottage hope too see you again soon,hugs cheryl xxxxx

Carla S. said...

This is absolutely stunning, Grace! What a creative and gorgeous project! Every detail is perfect and your coloring is outstanding! Thanks for sharing all the details of how you made it! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Beautiful box! I will be looking for one of these now. ;)
Thanks so much for joining us this week @ Paper Take Weekly!
I am now one of your followers.  ;)  I would love it if you came to visit my blog and become a follower too!
Hugs,
True :D

Caro said...

That is absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for joining us at Quirky Crafts.

Donna Heber said...

Grace,

Your work is stunning! I absolutely love this project. You are so talented.

Traci M said...

Grace, this is such a beautiful project!!
I love all the scriptures you've chosen, and each side is a work of art!
My parents have been in a nursing home since October...I think this would be a real spirit-lifter with the scripture. Thank you for sharing your unique, beautiful, and practical project!

Gurkiss said...

WOW what a project :)

Thank you for joining us at IDIC this week.

Hugs Gurkiss

Mary J said...

Amazing! This totally rocks!


Thx for sharing with us at Ladybug Crafts Ink! I hope to see more of your creativity at our next challenge!!

Mary J xxx

Spyder said...

Fabulous product, beautifully made,
Thank you for joining Quirky Craft's New Beginnings Challenge this time round!! Happy New Year
(Lyn)

Only By His Grace said...

hi Grace!
I don't know where to start...I think this is one of the nicest creations I have seen. I am so glad I have the Faith set on the way to my home here in Australia. Seeing how the butterfly branch has been colored so beautifully I can't wait to do it too. I don't know if it will look as beautiful as yours though. This is a stunning work of art.
Have a wonderful blessed New Year.
Hugs Maz

Dawn B. said...

This is really incredible Grace..I love the way you created each side differently. I look forward to seeing it each season.. Great job..See you soon.

Pink Room Therapy Designs said...

Wow! Just beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles this week!

Melisa Waldorf said...

Gorgeous tissue box Grace!! If I cry, will you send it to me?? teehee.

Love crafts forever said...

Hi Crace. This is just way to beautiful. And i love butterflies, it's my favorite thing. Thanks for playing at OSAAT, and Whoopsi Daisy
Hugs Nataliya

Helen said...

Beautiful project!
Thanks for joining us at Pile It On!
Helen x

Alica said...

oh wow! this is absolutely fabulous! Every side of the box is perfect and thanks for the instructions and tips!
Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful tissue box. Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Your Passion.

Tina Connolly said...

This is absolutely stunning Grace. I love it. You have done such a beautiful job with your stamping and colouring. Fantastic project, love your blog.
Tina

CarlaKH said...

How fantastic is this! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby here. Just love it. Thanks for joining us at The Pixie Cottage this week!

Diane Noble said...

Thank you so much Grace for participating in our first blog hop for Puttin' on the Glitz! We appreciate your comments so much! Winners will be announced on my blog Monday! Wishing you the best!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a great card for the Corrosive Challenge. Thanks for joining us!

Donna

deesdesigns said...

I'm at a loss for words - this is just stunning! Love, Love, Love everything!!!

Now I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby and try one for myself ;-)

I'm so glad you were able to join us for our New Beginnings challenge at SSDS! Dee

Random Acts of Krafting said...

You can see all the dedication and time that went into this. Thank you for playing with The Pixie Cottage this week.
Hugs
Tanya

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

WOW! What an amazing project. You must have spent ages on this but it really is worth it. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thanks for joining us at the Pixie Cottage.
Sharon xx

Spyder said...

It's time to vote for your favourite card and get all your blogging buddies to vote for you!! So hop over to Quirky Craft's! and vote!!

((Lyn))