Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Something Altered and tons of fun!



Hello friends!  I have a fun project that I made using this month's Scripture Bookmarks from Our Daily Bread designs.    I actually used a lot of other sets on this as well, though in the photo you can't see them all.  The papers you see all started out as plain ivory card stock!

I found this frame at a local Salvation Army store.... yes, I love to look through thrift shops when I have a few free minutes!  This frame had a pretty insert, but since my mother is no longer living, I didn't need the picture that was there, so I removed it and set out to remake it.  This frame is composed of several layers of cardboard, and a back and then the glass on the front.  All the layers are held together with clips, giving the inside of the picture frame room for something deeper than just paper.  I had seen frames like this at the stamp show I went to  in July, and thought then how fun they would be.  Well... guess what I paid for mine!  $.65!!!  Yay!


So... briefly, here are the steps to complete this project:



Take frame apart and remove old picture, and clean glass.

Cut card stock the size of the glass and stamp with parts of the following sets:  Serve the Lord, Dreams, Flowering Faith, Bird Border and Corners, Bookmark: Birds, It is Well Hymn, and Scripture Bookmarks.  ( I used T Holtz Markers on my stamps in Shabby Shutters, Frayed Burlap, Weathered Wood, Victorian Velvet, & Crushed Olive.

Sponge edges with Bundled Sage, Crushed Olive and Walnut Stain.

Trace design from inner panel onto stamped panel centered around the Scripture verse, and cut out with Fiskars Finger Blade.



Sponge all edges

The original clips were silver and didn't match the metal decor I wanted to use so I airbrushed them with CopicsY28 Lionet Gold

Cut brown dp from My Mind's Eye Bella Bella pack, and adhere wavy panel to it

Adhere Momenta Metal decor to top and bottom of panel with Tombow Metal Glue

Punch leaves, boughs and butterflies with Martha Stewart punches , sponge and adhere, add Prima roses

Reassemble frame layers and attach clips to clean glass



I'm sorry you can't see very well  the details of the hymn and some of the scrolls and flowers I have stamped, but I hope you enjoyed this little altered project.  Your local Goodwill store, Salvation Army, Habitat Store or other thrift shop can be a big toy store for the crafter looking for something to alter!  I hope you'll try something similar as it was so fun and I do love how it came out!




Just a little update on my computer woes... as you know I was struggling with the new laptop I bought last week, because after setting it all up for two days, I found it not typing correctly, and at first I just thought I had to just get used to it.  Well... the harder I tried the more I knew it was hopeless.  I was just sick to think of all the time it took me to set it all up but anyway, I went back to the store and they admitted that the keyboard was faulty.  So.... I now have ANOTHER new laptop!  Didn't want the same one again just in case... so now I have spent two more days setting it all up and loading all my programs on this one, but the good news is that I love the keyboard on this one!  Yay!

So... hoping to get back to normal here now!  Hope you enjoyed my project!  It's hard to believe but it's almost time to start revealing some sneaky peeks at what's coming your way Sept. 1!  Not quite yet... but stay tuned!

hugs,


13 comments:

Liz Williams said...

Grace, this is just gorgeous. I really am loving the new releases from ODBD. I love that all of their stamps are inspirational and Biblical. That is where my heart is now in my crafting. What a lovely gift this frame can be.

Traci M said...

Wow, Grace...I love your framed project with all that gorgeous detailing!! You have certainly taken the best advantage of all your stamps, too! Curious...what do you think of the TH markers compared to copics? They sure look so aged and beautiful here.

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Wow that is just Beautiful and what a fantastic price you paid and made it look Terrific!! I love to go to thrift stores and flea markets too, will have to look at things in a new way :)
So glad you decided to take back your computer and that you have got one that you like!

Becky said...

wow Grace, this is awesome. I love how you altered this frame, your so creative :)

EllenaElizabeth said...

A great project, thanks for sharing it today. I also love looking through thrift shops. The little town I live in doesn't have too many 'finds' however it's still fun looking.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Grace what a transformation you have wrought - it is breathtakingly beautiful.
Blessings
Maxine

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a great find Grace!! I just love how you altered that frame. The use of all the stamps, your colors, and your design are incredible!! Gorgeous project!!

hugs,
Chris

Carla S. said...

Your altered frame is absolutely gorgeous, Grace! The colors and images are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you did it! Glad you are getting back on track with your laptop. Computer issues are such a pain! Hugs!

Only By His Grace said...

This is gorgeous Grace. Your creations are always so lovely.
I think I may need to get these bookmark scriptures.
Hugs maz

Traci S. said...

Hi Grace,

This is absolutely beautiful! I have a frame like this, but I like the flower photo in it! It's amazing to see how many different products you used in this one project! You are a very clever and creative woman.

I am so sorry about your computer problems. I am glad you have it all handled! Thanks for this great tutorial today, Grace!

He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

You May Receive 1-5 Cards!
http://He-IS-Able.blogspot.com

Stempelengel said...

Sehr schön, gefällt mir sehr gut.
Liebe Grüße
Ruth
www.myblot-stempelengel.blogspot.com

Plastic card said...

I enjoy visiting your blog and found something really beautiful keep sharing such wonderful cards.

Marlou McAlees said...

Hi Grace :)

I am loving what you created with the new bookmarks and stamps, I love "The blessing" a favourite Scripture of mine :)
I added you to my bloglist as I can remember to pop in and out :)

Marlou x