Monday, January 18, 2016

His Mercies are New Every Morning!

ODBD stamp Your Mercies, Bible Journaling, designed by Grace Nywening

Hello friends!  I do hope you are all well on this cold January day!  

For Christmas I was given a Journaling Bible.  This was something I have struggled with for some time.  I mean, I have my beloved Bible with all sorts of notes written in the margins, and yet somehow the idea of doing artwork to illustrate a passage just scared me.  I first and foremost did not want to have it be about the art.  It needs to remain about God's Word!  However, as I've been home bound for the most part lately, this has been a wonderful way for me to read His Word and then focus on a certain verse or passage that spoke to me at that moment.  I am completely new to this, so I have much to learn but I'm enjoying the process thus far.

The main image above is a stamp, and part of the Jan. release from ODBD, and is called Your Mercies.  The bottom of the stamped image  is just above my hand lettered "Therefore I have Hope" with the pink ribbon.  I was reading this chapter and that phrase popped out at me several times.  I in a special way connected with the words of Hope this time!

God's people had rebelled and sinned,  and God had allowed the Babylonians to destroy Jerusalem.  There was much suffering and lament in the land.  However,  in this 3rd chapter and following, the laments turn to reminders and comfort that (3:21) "This I call to mind, therefore I have hope. "(v22) "The Lord's Loving kindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. "( v23) "They are new every morning.  Great is Your faithfulness." 

The author then goes on to say "The Lord is my portion, says my soul, Therefore I have hope in Him.  The Lord is good to those who wait for Him.  To the person who seeks Him.  (vs 24-25)  

So in a time of deep suffering, still it was recognized that God is abounding in loving kindness.  It does not please Him to see His people suffer. (However there are times He does allow it for reasons He alone can know... but certainly in part to bring people back to Him through repentance, to be a witness to others of His power and glory, and many more reasons I'm sure).   Because of this knowledge of God's character, came a strong hope and even eventually repentance.  The 21st verse of the 5th chapter says "Turn us back to You, O Lord, and we will be restored; Renew our days as of old."  Once you have come to know God's favor, you really don't ever want to live far from Him again!  

My image was stamped with Memento and colored with Prisma Pencils.  I had some shadowing from the ink but almost none from the pencil coloring.  I used a  .01 Micron pen to hand letter the "Therefore I have Hope" and the ribbon and there is some shadowing of that as well. I used Distress Inks to sponge the clouds using a Rosies' Road Show cloud template.  I have plans for the other side of this page so I brought the clouds all the way over and will eventually journal the right hand side bar.  I do not really like when heavy artwork is done over the words in a journaling Bible.  I feel like that's crossing the line in some way.  However there are many mediums like the distress inks that lightly sponged on can be read clearly through.  The pencils as well can be read through.  My goal for most of my pages will to either keep most everything to the side bar, or use only light mediums that do not obscure the words.  

I will say that this is the third page I did this week.  I still have things to show or finish and show, but I did want to share this with you for now.  Tomorrow is another Big chemo day for me so I might be out of it this coming week for a while.  Again... thank you all so much for your prayers, cards, messages on facebook, etc.  They mean so much to me!!!

Blessings,
 

16 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Hello, sweet friend!! What a gorgeous journaling page and beautiful reminder that is with us each and every day from beginning to end!! His mercies are new every morning!!

Your page is gorgeous! I love the coloring, colors, and all the clouds in the background. I can't believe you were able to do such beautiful work with all you are going through. You are amazing!! Praying for your treatment tomorrow. Sending you love!!
hugs,
Chris

Jerri Jimenez said...

Grace, I believe the journaling is wonderful, and I believe He feels the same, studying His word and journaling in this way brings you deeper into thought and retrospection, deeper into His word in mind, body and soul. You've done Him proud. Your artwork is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to see more of your journaling. Warm hugs!!

Jane said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful journaling page, Grace! What a focus you have on our Father God and His loving care for you, and what beautiful art to praise Him! I pray that you continue to fix your eyes on Jesus and all His promises, and that He's always right there with you, no matter what you are enduring through these treatments and their effects! You're such an inspiration to me and so many others, sharing your strong faith and your awesome creations! Sending love and continuing to pray for you!

Susie said...

Grace, I understood perfectly your comment about somehow being uncertain about coloring in your Bible. But you stepped out and did - even in the suffering you've been enduring. Not only has God blessed us with your talent, He's encouraged you as well - and most importantly, God is glorified and honored.

I'll be praying for you tomorrow. Rest in His love and allow His healing comfort to wrap around and through you.

Sending gentle hugs,
Susie ~

lorrayneingram said...

Grace you spoke to my heart. I write in my bible, but don't want to cover the Word so you can't read it.
I pray for you and your cancer treatments. May God give your His Word to comfort and endurance as you walk through this trial.
May you feel His surrounding comfort and peace.
Lorrayne

Cards By Jan said...

Hi Grace...what a beautiful idea...I LOVE your page...I think it would be fun to get a bible like this and the bookmarks from ODBD...and do Bible journaling... You are an inspiration girl...for all you have come through already...and Jesus is with you all the way!!

I did a card up for our Pastor...who has been in Hospital for awhile now...needs a hip replacement...on the front of the card it says...

"God doesn't give us what we can handle, God helps us handle what we are given"

I'm sure you have the set...but it speaks volumes to me...

Praying for you
Hugs Jan

Julie L said...

Beautiful art! You are an inspiration even in the midst of all you are going through!! Praying for your healing! Thank you for sharing this part of your Bible. Julie L

Becky said...

Beautiful job on this Bible page Grace.
Years ago it was sacrilegious to mark your bible, Mine is color coded, highlighted and noted.:)

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh sweet Grace - I love how you want to keep the focus on God's word, and to keep the scriptures clear enough to read. Wonderful journaling, and beautiful art.
{{{{{Hugs}}}}} and prayers
Maxine

Cathymac said...

Oh, Grace, this is so beautiful. Love what you've done with this page…the clouds and your coloring is gorgeous. The word of God is so powerful and encouraging. Praying for you, my sweet friend!

Conniecrafter said...

It looks wonderful, I have had a hard time even writing in my bible the first time I saw someone doing it I just shuttered, I have a journal that I write in when something touches me that I read in the bible, so I think this would be even harder for me, but having a bible just for that and one I can keep "clean" would be nice. Praying your chemo goes well and it doesn't take to much out of you

Susan Lankford said...

Grace, what a beautiful job you've done with the coloring in your Bible journal... I know the Lord enjoys the creativity you are placing on His beautiful Word. This bible will be treasured for generations.

Dottie said...

Hi Grace...what a beautiful idea...I LOVE your page...I think it would be fun to get a bible like this and the bookmarks from Our Daily Bread Design... You are an inspiration... for all you have come through already.and Jesus is with you all the way!!
I believe in the Miracle of GOD and he will heal you from this CANCER know you are loved and many are praying.

Blessings
Fottie

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, precious Grace, what a beautiful way to journal in your Bible! I so love the amazing clouds and this more precious verse from Lamentations. Oh, it's a special one, as we awake each morning and realize that His mercies are truly new each and every morning...and that we have Hope each day! I continue to pray for you, dear friend, as you go through these truly difficult chemo treatments and pray that God would give you strength and endurance for it all. Know that you are dearly loved and being lifted up before the throne of God! Warm and tenderest hugs, sweet friend! xoxo

Gail said...

A lovely journal page - you did a fabulous job and write up on your blog - thanks for sharing - His mercies ARE New every morning and do I ever need them every day - I have gone through health issues and struggled and you are right - "We do not know why" - but God is in control of everything in my life - thanks for sharing and have a blessed week!

Marlena M. said...

I wanted to stop by and see how you're doing. You are relying on the Lord~so I know you are in His perfect hands. ;) I love your sponged clouds~perfect way to create and honor the Lord. I pray the Lord lift your spirits today and that He inject you with joy. Blessings~