Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hand Made Flowers... and the cure for anxiety!

Hello everyone, and happy Sunday!
Today's Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge is hosted by the lovely Candice.  Candace chose the verse
Isaiah 40:8 "The grass withers, the flowers fade, but the Word of our God stands forever."  
What a great verse!  I wonder how often we stop and think about God's Word in the light of His Eternal nature?  This life and the things of earth are so fleeting.... seasons come, seasons go.  Life is very short!  Yet there is one Constant, One who is the same yesterday, today and forever.  He was before all time, and He will be forevermore.  He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.  
His Word is truth and stands forever! 
Inspired by this verse, Candace has challenged us to use flowers on our project.

Thanks to fellow ODBD DT member, Sabrina, I tried my hand at making my own flowers for this card, and I used  shades of ivory and tan for a shabby feel, trying to keep with the verse... "the flowers fade".   The flowers are cut from two shades of card stock on the Cricut, wet thoroughly, scrunched up, then opened and layered up.  I added a couple "half" flowers for the effect of blossoms.  After they were dry, I added drops of glue to each layer to hold them together, sponged the edges of the petals with Adirondak Latte Ink, and let dry again.  The card itself is on a base of Papertrey Vintage Cream and layered with alternating layers of that and white.  I used a Cuttlebug Swiss Dot Embossing folder, then a Lacy folder by Marianne.  I also used a CB edge folder on the lower edge of the card.  Everything is sponged with Latte.  The corner die cut is Spellbinders.  The verse is from the Our Daily Bread designs second anniversary  DT set, Scripture Collection 4, and is the verse I submitted for the set.  It's one I have to use often!!!  It is stamped with Memento Rich Cocoa and cut with a Nellie's Multi- Frame Die Cut.  The pearls are ZVA Creative, and I used a MS punch and Sizzix Leaf Die, to which I then added some veining before sponging.

This week's sponsor is Michelle Perkett (The Art of Michelle Perkett Etsy Shop)
Michelle is giving away a $15.00 Gift Certificate to her store!  Thank you so much Michelle!

To see what the rest of the team has created for you this week, please visit: 
I hope you will play along with us this week! 

To be entered in the drawing, your card must be linked to Mr. Linky by 12:00PM PDT (GMT-8) Saturday April 24h. The winner will be chosen by random and will be announced on Tues. April 27th.

Please be sure to make your link direct to your project, not just your blog or gallery, and please place a link to Stampin Sisters in Christ in your post! I can't wait to see your creations!

This week I have included several other challenges on this card and am entering this in the following:
Sentimental Sundays (a New Challenge so check it out!)
Creative Belli -   Die Cuts (SB, Nellies and Cricut flower from Accent Essential Cartridge to make flowers)
Little Red Wagon - Dry Embossing
Simon Says Stamp - Movies and Dry Embossing (Sweet Magnolias and lots of dry embossing!)
Charisma - Monochromatic
Cute Card Thursday - Touchy Feely Texture (Dry Embossing, pearls)
Stamp Something - Something Layered (Everything... each layer, and the flowers have many layers)
Sophisticat - Distressing (Distress Inks, flower edges are distressed)
Pile it on - no stamped images... sentiments ok
One more thing real quick!  Stampin Sisters in Christ are hosting a Card Drive for a dear teacher who was in a terrible auto wreck!  Please take a minute to read about it and if you can, send a card!  It would mean so much!

50 comments:

Rosietoes said...

Such a beautiful card. The lo is superb and the sentiment is life changing.
Edna x

Anonymous said...

Grace, this is simply beautiful!!!

Francie G. said...

Grace, this is beyond gorgeous! I need to stamp that verse on my forehead! Those flowers are amazing! Hmmmmmm! Maybe I need that Cricut after all! Thanks for the inspiration!

Silke Ledlow said...

WOWZER Grace this card is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! Hugs ~S~

Sandee Shanabrough said...

This is seriously stunning Grace!!!! Those flowers do Sabrina proud!!!! WOW!!!

Lovely Linda said...

HiGrace - this is stunning! What is there not to like - I love those flowers, totally gorgeous - I wish I had a cricut!!!! Love the scripture and those delish pearls! Your elegant style just gets better and better my friend - thanks for sharing- I am so glad you stamp - I would be lost without our inspiration and your friendship! Thanks for sharing! {{{hugs}}}

Anonymous said...

I first thought that your flowers are store bought but to find out they are homemade makes them all the more stunning. What a great focal in which to nestle that great verse.

Candace said...

Your card is GORGEOUS! Those flowers are awesome!!! Love it! Have a great week! :)

Kathy W. said...

Grace, your card is so beautiful. I love those hand made flowers, I'm going to give it a try. Have a great week!!

Davi said...

HI Grace, Your card is really beautiful! The soft colors, the perfect scripture and those beautiful flowers, that make us all wish for a cricut! :) blessings

♥...Mo...♥ said...

This card is very sweet
I love pearls

Crystal said...

WOW Grace I am speechless this is one GORGEOUS creations...I LOVE those flowers...WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

helencreaty1 said...

waw beatiful card, it 's so elegant, and the flowers look so good ( I spent 2 minutes seeing carefully your flowers , they are really beatiful =o )
enjoy your day
hugsss
helen

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Grace, as with everything you do, this card is STUNNING! And you made those flowers? Prima has nothing on you! I love making paper flowers. Of course, the scripture resonates with me, especially now. I have to keep reminding myself, but it helps me tremendously to keep turning back to God's promises when I start to panic.

Hugs,
Lisa

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is absolutely stunning Grace!! I just lovey our layout and your flowers girl are d bomb!! I am going to have to talk my hubby into that Cricut Expression for sure!!! Wowzer girl!! Love The Shabby Chic feel too!
hugs,
Chris

Kazdaz said...

WOW!! Grace this is a stunning card. Those flowers are amazing.
I just love all of it cant pick out a fave bit, fab embossing at the bottom it all gels so well.
I love the scripture.
God bless
Karen (kaz)

Ramona said...

Good grief that card is adorable. So soft and pretty. What a crafty idea. I adore your art work! It has just the right touch.

Lori said...

Wow, Grace! I thought these were silk flowers, you did a fabulous job! Your card is beautiful all over.

peggysue said...

Grace, that is so funny how we both decided to make handmade flowers this week for the challenge, yet so different. Those must have taken such a long time, but what a beautiful result! And such an elegant framing for that wonderful verse. I think its so neat we all write our own thoughts on the verse each week, its like a mini-devotional hop each Sunday.

joy said...

Beautiful card, so delicate. Great job! Thanks for participating in the Creative Belli challenge.

Valarie (vampme3) said...

Oh Grace! Your flowers and your card are beautiful!!!

Mickie said...

So beautiful! Love your flowers and your card is so inspiring.

Sabrina Jackson said...

Thudddddd......Grace, this must be one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL cards you have ever made!!!! {Sigh} everything on it is perfect and those flowers....girl, you did not tell the world that this was your first time making them....Prima sure does not have a thing on you my friend!!! I am blown away!! Totally stunning!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Rosanne said...

Gorgeous card! Thanks for playing along at Little Red Wagon!

Rosanne said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for playing along at Little Red Wagon!

Carolyn Wolff said...

Wow! This is amazing. So much detail. I give it at 10! Thanks so much for playing along with us at LRW!

raindropecho said...

This is absolutely stunning. The way that you've framed the sentiment with the flowers and the pearls just puts me to a certain level of serenity. Thank you so very much for joining the first Sentimental Sundays challenge. I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!
- Ann

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

SO ELEGANT! I love all of the embellishments you used :)

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamps Challenge!!!

-Sarah

Jenny said...

What a breath-taking card - so inspirational.

Jane said...

Such a beautiful card! I love the gorgeous colours and details! thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps challenge, hugs, Jane xxx

Liz Williams said...

I love your choice of using only neutral colors for this most awesome card. I love how your blog is such a statement of your faith.
Thanks for playing along in the Belli Challenge.

Maria Matter said...

gorgeous Grace, just gorgeous!!!
I'm so glad you shared with Creative Belli!
blessings, Maria

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Holy moly, this is totally amazing. It is so absolutely gorgeous. I can't believe you made those flowers! I don't have a Cricut and have been trying to make my own using Spellbinders dies, but haven't been particularly happy with them. Yours are so beautiful and you have inspired me to keep on trying! Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece of work with us at Pile it On this week.

debby4000 said...

Oh stunnining card, beautiful colours.
luv
Debby

Yvonne Hagane said...

WOW!! Your handmade flowers does not look handmade at all! They are absolutely stunning, and the color scheme is fantastic. What a beautiful card, Grace!

Dawn B. said...

Beautiful card Grace.. I love all your flowers.. I am seeing flowers in my dreams...LOL. I think I planted too many and will regret it when I have to water.. Your card is perfect for your challenges.. Great job.

Kelley said...

Grace, this is the most amazing card!! I am stunned by its beauty...truly!!!!

Annie said...

a stunning card! I love all the texture and detail. thanks for joining in with us at CCT this week.
hugs, annie x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Hi again Grace, I wanted to let you know that you really did inspire me to try the hand made flowers again. They still aren't nearly as nice as yours, but I am improving - LOL. I would like to link my post tomorrow to your blog so that my readers can see what inspired me. I hope you don't mind! If you do, let me know and I will delete that portion of the post.

Thanks again for the inspiration.!

Kathy Jones said...

**THUD** I LOVE THIS!!! So elegant with the monochromatic look and those flowers are INCREDIBLE!!!

Leanne said...

WOW this is gorgeous! I am going through a phase of making my own flowers at the moment, and yours are stunning!

Thank you for joining us at Charisma this week!

I also have candy on my blog, 3 Magnolia Fairytale Stamps if you would like to enter, here is the link.

Leanne xx

Lee-Anne said...

Wow, I just came across your blog through the Stampin Sisters in Christ site and I just had to tell you how amazing this card is. It is so beautiful, so wonderfully elegant, each and every part of it looks like it was created with so much love.
What a beautiful verse as well, and something we often need to be reminded of. Thank you so much for this beautiful inspiration, I am going to go and have a look at all your other work now.

Lee-Anne :)

Helen said...

Grace! This is GORGEOUS!!! Love it, especially the colors!
Blessings!
~H

Babs said...

Absoulutely adorable, those flowers are fantastic, and what a beautiful verse.
Babs x

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Spectacular!! Wow, Love your layering and gentle tones!!

Denimo said...

Awwwww... what a wonderful card Grace!!! Love, love, LOVE it! Great layering! So glad you could join us for the Stamp Something challenge.
Hugs, Denimo

Cheryl said...

What a gorgeous card! I saw this on the Sentimental Sundays challenge blog and had to come by to tell you that I love it.

Traci M said...

I admired this on the Stamping Sisters in Christ Blog...and even more once I read your description and the most beautiful flowers you made!! Your words are such an encouragment also!!

Crafteezee said...

Wow, this card is absolutely gorgeous. I love the verse and visiting all these blogs, I am wishing I had more word stamps. The flowers are gorgeous, you have done such a fabulous job. Thanks for joining us at Sophisticats. Hugs Tracy x

Mandy said...

Grace your card is stunning, so beautiful, love everything you've done.
Thanks for joining us at Sophisticats
hugs Mandy xx