Wednesday, January 27, 2010

  Hello everyone!

When I started my GDT month  at Midnight Madness Priscilla asked if I would do a tutorial for you.  I had made this wallet some time ago and had started putting a tutorial together for it.  This is my first real detailed tutorial so I hope it's ok and that you can follow what I tried to put down.  If not feel free to email me. 

 

Tutorial for Cash and Gift Card Wallet


 I first saw the idea for this wallet card from John A VanMulders in Scrap & Stamp Arts, Oct. 2009 Edition.  The directions were very limited, so I set out to make it my own and decided to make a tutorial for it while I was working on it.  It's a fun presentation for those times you want to give a special gift of cash or check and also perhaps a gift card or a phone card for your college student... or whatever.  It's unique because it does have both pockets, if you want them both.

I used the Football pattern paper from The Paper Co.  It has a great look but it is hard to adhere so use tacky tape for sure!  I also used Brushed Copper from the Paper Co, Georgia Pacific White and Basic Black.

Instructions:

Cut 12" x 12" paper @ 7"
Score across @ 4 1/4"
Score again @ 8 1/2"




For the inside:
Cut 1 piece 7" x 2 1/2" long (this is for the check or cash pocket).
Score and fold up 1/2" from bottom.
Cut 1 piece a  1 1/2" x 4 1/2" (this is for the gift card pocket).
Score and fold up 1/2" from bottom.
Cut a piece 4 1/4" x 7".  This will eventually be adhered to lower section of wallet inside


 
From Top, cut off  3 7/16".  This leaves a flap of 13/16".  The picture below shows where the 4 1/4" x 7" piece you just cut for the lower inside part will be adhered later.

 

Embellish the outside of wallet:

I cut 2 pieces of brushed copper from The Paper Co. One piece I cut 1" x 7" and the other is 3/4" x 7".  I  sewed across top and bottom of both pieces and attached my silver studded velvet ribbon by Brother & Sister Design Studio (Hobby Lobby).  I   wrapped about 1/2" of the ribbon around the ends of the 1" piece, used tape runner to adhere just the tape's width to the lower edge of the flap.  I adhered a tiny magnet from BasicGrey to the middle of the copper strip,  and then attached the 3/4" piece to the back of the flap, lining up with the lower edge of the front piece.  This covers the ribbon, the magnet,  and gives a finished sewn edge on the inside.  



Next I added the opposite magnet piece to the back of my lower fold of the wallet.
Then  I adhered the piece I cut to 4 1/4" x 7", covering the magnet.  This magnetic closure works really well and is a nice touch!


For the front outside of my wallet I embellished with some silver corner pieces and a flower and brad (from Clear Dollar Stamps).
 

Finish the Inside of the Wallet:

Adhere tacky tape to the two "pockets" you cut and scored.


From the lower fold of the wallet on the inside , measure up  1" and adhere your 7 " long check/cash pocket,  with folded flap on inside.  This makes a pocket.

From the same lower fold of the wallet on the inside as above, measure up 1/2".  Center your 4" long pocket and adhere with tacky tape.  This will form a pocket for the gift/ phone card.

Embellish Inside of Wallet:

I stamped sentiment from Our Daily Bread designs "Thinking of You" set in VersaColor Black  and clear embossed and cut with Spellbinders Label #4.

I cut a square of black cs and centered and cut out a Spellbinder's Label #5.  Using the negative part, I adhered to center of lower section, as a matting for my sentiment panel.
I used a QuicKutz corner die and cut 6 corners, stitched each one, and adhered as shown. 




I do hope you have enjoyed this tutorial, and that it was understandable.  I loved the versatility of this one.  I made this long before the faux leather technique was spotlighted on SCS but that would be a great way to do this as well instead of the basketball dp I used.  So many possibilities!  Have fun!  If you make one I'd love a link to it so I can see it!

16 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a stunning wallet inside and out Grace!!! Love your faux leather look and the corners! The sentiment in the inside is perfect. Great tutorial!
hugs,
Chris

Crystal said...

WOW Grace this is awesome, what a great tutorial and beautiful project!!! LOVE it inside and out!!!

Lorelie Kim said...

Wonderful tutorial, Grace!! Love the wallet and the nice scripture surprise when it's opened!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Grace, goodness, this is so stunning!!! I love that paper you chose and the insode {sigh} so beautiful!!!! I think I'll have to give that oe a try for sure ;D. Love it!!! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Becky said...

This is awesome, I love this, thanks for the tutorial.

Deborah Saaranen said...

What a fabulous tutorial Grace! This is such a wonderful gift card/money presentation!

Betty Wright said...

A wallet with money?!?!!? What a concept! Seriously, Grace this is just fantastic and so real looking. It is truly amazing! Great craftswomanship and detailing! Thanks so much for the tutorial, too! Blessings!

Silke Ledlow said...

Fabulous wallet - Grace!!! Thanks for the tutorial...I've been meaning to make one of these forever - LOL!!! Hugs ~S~

Rosietoes said...

Great tutorial Grace. I've some strange and wonderful dp that I couldn't think what to do with. Now I have inspiration. Thank you.
Edna x

Karen W said...

Wonderful tutorial and what a great gift idea. Thanks so much!!

Carol Hurlock said...

Grace, this is a fabulous project. I love it. You can use this for so many occasions. It would be great for my teen boy's birthday and for my husband for Father's day. I think I will make one for my other son's College Graduation in May. All the men in my house will finally have the opportunity to enjoy one of my creations...LOL This is so creative and am so excited you gave us this tutorial.

Bear Hugs,
Carol :o}

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

This is just wonderful, Grace! What a project! Love it and I'll definitely have to try this. Thanks for all the directions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelley said...

Twenty bucks and a gift card! Wow, you are generous!! What is that crazy comment up above me? LOL!! Wonderful project and great directions!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephanie said...

great tutorial, Grace! I just love my Scor-Pal, especially when workign on projects like this :)