Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Color Challenge: Dusty Shadow Chips

 

Hello everyone!  I hope your week is off to a wonderful start!  When Betty first contacted me and asked me to make a sample for her color challenge on SCS... I was honored, but when I heard the colors I thought yikes!  This is going to be tough!  Well... I actually like what I ended up with, although I'm quite sure I would never have thought of it~  I do not have Dusty Durango so I used a Rusty Bazzil paper that I think comes close.  The Chocolate Chip and Sage Shadow are among my favorite color combos, so I just had to work in that rusty dusty color!  I should have just taken pictures of my floors because THEY are dusty! LOL!  My hubby was sanding the stairs this weekend and boy what a mess!  Anyway... on with my card...
I made another easel card, and therefore can enter Flourishes FTTC53 as well.  Once I made one I found them addictive!  My friend and DT sister Chris has inspired me so much with all of her beautiful creations I have taken the leap and am in love with this layout!  So I started with a base of Chocolate Chip, layered Sage Shadow, my Rusty Bazzill, and then the dp is from The Paper Studio.  

My image is the newly released Our Daily Bread designs set, Nest, and the sentiment is from a coordinating set, You Will Find Refuge. I stamped my image on Papertrey Cream and colored with Copics.  I cut the image with a Spellbinders Label #3, then masked the image and spritzed the background with the airbrush while still in the die, using BG000, BG10 and a touch of BG72.  The sentiment is stamped in Chocolate Chip and then I  masked the edges, and spritzed with the Airbrush, using BG10 and BG72. I cut a SB Fancy Tag, embossed then cut in half so I could stretch it to fit the verse.  

For my nest, I stole one of my cat's toys (shame)...I  took a little piece of a feather!  I took little bitty pieces of it and glued it around the nest.  I thought the Scripture was perfect with the nest image... like the mother bird covers her babies and shelters them under her wings, our Heavenly Father covers us with His feathers and under His wings we find refuge. What a comfort is that!!!

 

The" dessert" option Betty gave with the CC was to bring on the patterns.  I used this paisley patterned dp and then I used a Sizzix die to create more pattern and interest in the mat for my nest.  It's hard to see in the pic but the pattern reminds me of feathers as well.  I finished my card by sewing fancy stitches, adding three strands of hemp and a feather charm, and some chocolate pearls.  I resisted adding lots of pearl swirls so that this could be a masculine card.  I hope you like this card.... and I hope you stop by Our Daily Bread designs to see these new sets before they're gone!  I know that the DT is having a blast with them and this nest is sooooo easy to color!  It's done in a flash!  

Have a blessed week!
Photobucket

14 comments:

Crystal said...

Gorgeous Grace love the easel, image, and these fabulous colors!!!! Gorgeous card girl!

Dawn said...

fabulous Grace!!! I see you used your ABS!!! you go girl!! and clever you!! LOVE the feather lined nest!! (thanks Ricky!)
I so need to get my sewing machine fixed!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Grace your easel card is gorgeous and you should add it to the FTTC Challenge this week!!! It fits right in!!! Love how you colored this beautiful image!!!

Have a great week!!! Hugs ~S~

Becky said...

Grace this card is beautiful. So creative.

Riet said...

What a beautifl card Grace,i love your image and papers.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.xx

Francie G. said...

Gorgeous creation, Grace! Your details and coloring are amazing!

Stephanie said...

Love how you added some of the cat's toy - you better put that card out of reach :)

congrats on the invitation to create a sample card for the challenge..what a DESERVED honor! I'd have to say that combo does seem like a challenge, but you really made it work! :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is so rich and beautiful Grace!! Love your take on the colors and your details are phenominal!! Love how you added those feathers. Too clever!! Gorgeous creation my friend. You rock!!
big hugs,
Chris

Betty Wright said...

Grace, thanks so much for hosting with me at SCS Color Combo this week! You totally rocked these colors. You also truly embraced the dusty/rust color! Beautiful design and I LOVE your nest detailing and that fancy stitched border! Beautifully done! Blessings to you and yours!

Karen W said...

This is just gorgeous, I love everything about it. I also love the new sets and have been having fun with them.

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Grace, look at you - you have used these colours so beautifully - is there anything you can't do?!? I love the feathery nest and the sewing - it adds to much to your card Grace - love the easlet card - I made my first one too - you will see it tomorrow!! This is great for a masculine card too Grace - perfect in every way! Thansk for sharing and for the inspiration - you amaze me daily! GOd bless you! {{{hugs}}}

Diane Noble said...

Stunning! Just gorgeous detail...so realistic. As always your artwork is amazing. What a sweet card. Love it.

Unknown said...

This is a fabulous color combo. I love the earthy tones. your nest is darling and I must learn to make the easel cards, haven't tried one yet.
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Kelley said...

I hope Ricky did not mind you borrowing his toy..LOL!! Love the nest, extremely cool!