Friday, March 20, 2009

What's Buggin' Ya?



Last Week's Limited Supply Challenge on SCS was to use a bug on our card. Since I was away... I wanted to do the challenge today, so I used my Whipper Snapper Lady Bug image, stamped in Memento Black ink, then colored with Copics. The stipulations of the limited supply challenge were that we could not use designer paper, and no more than four layers. So.... I kept it simple! My sentiment is from See D's, and the image and sentiment are layered on basic black. I used the SU! slot punch and three different ribbons as my only embellishment.


I couldn't help think about my daughter and son in law who just moved to the mountains of TN this past week when I saw this challenge. In the mountains, they grow lots of Christmas Trees, and for some reason, they had brought in tons of Lady Bugs to help control some other kind of bug or disease I guess??? Anyway... it was done for a purpose, but now the lady bugs are everywhere (apparently they are quite prolific) and they drive my son in law crazy! They get into the house and at any given time you can find several inside. I thought I'd send this card to them.


I mentioned in an earlier post that I don't have all the Copics I need to do the recommended style of shading and highlighting, so I thought I'd show you the colors I used on this card. You'll see that I have very few that are just the perfect couple of steps apart. To do my blending, I first color with my lightest color, then using that marker, I take a bit of ink off the darker one to shade, if I have a darker shade. If I don't, I just add layer on layer of the same color until it looks darker. I'm no pro with Copics.... I'm still learning... but I have found these few things to help. Hope they help you too!




Thanks for stopping by my blog, and please sign my guest book near the bottom if you haven't already!

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Grace, this is adorable!!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Grace, way to go with those copics!!!! This Ladybug card is just too adorable!!!! You make it sound so easy coloring with the copics. I might have to order some copics now :P.
Have a blessed weekend, Sabrina

Kerri said...

Just adorable, Grace! Thank you for the great Copic tips!

Diane Noble said...

Great card, and you do a fantastic job with your Copics. Oh, it would be so fun if we could walk across the street to one another's craft rooms to play! This is an adorable card. We are soooooo glad you're back home and crafting!

Teresa Kline said...

Grace, you work looks like a pro using copics....just stunning! Have a great weekend...hugs *~*

Joanne Travis said...

Hi Grace,
Congratulations on your new blog, it's beautiful! Your work is so lovely and just keeps getting better and better.
Hugs,
Joanne

Mary said...

Wow- you've been busy!! I love this bug and also your egg shaped basket -and your embossed card -love them all! Very nice!!

bsgstamps4fun: Barb Gault said...

This is adorable Grace, everything you make is fantastic!
Hugs!

Kay said...

What no DP?? That would be very challenging for me, but you did a wonderful job. very cute bug! You coloring is great too. Those Copics are very addictive - isn't it funny how you never have the exact shade you need? Then you have to order more, then you still don't have the shade you need - it's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Anonymous said...

Only 8 copics and you were able to come up with this masterpiece. You are good Grace. This image is too cute. It reminded me of Red Skelton and the Hobo character he use to play.

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh my gosh, this lady bug is so cute! You did a great job with the Copics! I think you are over the learning curve!