Sunday, May 22, 2011

I'm Pulling for You!

I'm-pulling-for-you-MFT

Happy Sunday everyone! I am the hostess for this week's challenge, and I chose Proverbs 10:20-21 for this week's Scripture.

"The tongue of the righteous is as choice silver,
the heart of the wicked is worth little.
The lips of the righteous feed many,
but fools die for lack of understanding."

My challenge is to:
Create a card or project that encourages and use a touch of silver

Have you ever known someone who struggles in the area of “holding their tongue”? Well, I have, and it was a woman I loved very much, but she was a critical perfectionist who just felt compelled to verbalize her disappointment about just about everything. I saw the pain it caused her family relationships, the poor self esteem it caused her son, and even the unhappiness it left in her after she had vented every word! I vowed that I did NOT want to carry on that “tradition”!

Have you ever REALLY thought about the power God has given us through our words? Prov. 18:21 says “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit”.

It is truly amazing to think how powerful our words are! God put that power in us for a reason. Although we often misuse it, allowing our words to be a source of great pain to those around us, God wants us to use our words to encourage, enlighten and bring healing others! Prov. 12:18 “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”

What are some ways we can use our tongue to encourage and bring healing? There are so many ways. Is. 50:4 says “The Lord has given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary”. Our life experiences and the wisdom we’ve gained are not to be kept locked up for only our own use, but are to be shared with others going through difficult times. Simply sharing the truth of the Gospel is another way, for we know that true healing can only come through Jesus’ shed blood! Paul says in Rom 10:14 “How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” Certainly sharing God’s Word is one of the greatest ways we can use our words wisely! Paul admonishes older women to encourage and teach younger women in how they should be faithful to God in their family life. Sometimes simply coming alongside someone who is struggling and instead of criticizing, just offering words of positive encouragement or advice is what is needed. Sometimes, just letting someone know you are there for them, praying for them, willing to listen and comfort them is the best way to be an encourager.

With the thought of just how powerful our words can be, let’s ask God to show us ways to be an encourager!

My card info:

Today I have a fun card I made with an image from our sponsor, My Favorite Things. Isn't she cute? The set is from the Pure Innocence Line and is called A Cart Full of Friends! I stamped her with Memento and colored with Copics. I hand drew the hills and clouds on printer paper, then cut out my designer paper according to my pattern. My base is Bazzill, the dp is BasicGrey Hello Luscious and Urban Prairie. I sewed around the various elements hoping to give the illusion of fabric like when I used to quilt. I faux stitched the clouds. For the touch of silver in my challenge, I used a VersaMark pen to color in the hub caps of the wagon and then heat embossed with silver. I used Martha Stewart fringe scissors to fringe scraps of two different shades of green cs and then I curled various parts down by curling around my piercing tool. The sentiment is punched with SU! punches.

Our Sponsor is My Favorite Things and the prize is a $25.00 Gift Certificate!!!:
We thank them for their generosity! Wish I could play!! :)

For complete details on the challenge and our sponsor, and the full devotional, please see the SSIC Blog.

For more inspiration on today's challenge, please visit my DT Sisters:
Chris, Linda, Peggysue, Miesje, Rebecca, Lisa , Kris, Sabrina, & MariLynn
Randi (on leave)


I am entering this in the following challenges:
Crafty Sentiments - Children's cards, Shelly's Images -Anything goes, Some Odd Girl Make a scene, Stampin' B's -Make a Spring scene card, Do You Stack Up? -Celery, white, sea glass, Crafts and Me - #35 Anything goes, Optional Kraft, Creative Belli - 2W - 2nd W - #117 Anything starting with S (sentiment), Creative Card Crew - Cute & Girly, Divas by Design - #2 For the Girls , House That Stamps Built - Paper Piecing (my whole scene is paper pieced), Penny's Paper-Crafty - #53 Anything Goes, Stampavie and More - #142 Summer, Stars and Stamps Midweek Throwdown - no glitter - Summer Fun, Truly Scrumptious - #57 Anything Goes, Clear It Out! - Projects using Colouring Mediums (Copics), Flourishes - #118 Inspired by Spring,Top Tip Tuesday - #34 Any Project For A Child, Simply Scrapping Crafts - COLOUR, Craft Your Passion - Cutie Patooties, Happileigh Scrappin - Stitching, Make it Monday - Always anything goes, BasicGrey - #44 Use a Mix of BG products, n

Thanks so much for visiting!!! Have a blessed day!

41 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What an encouraging and inspirational devotional Grace!! One we need to be reminded of often! Your card is gorgeous!! I just love the card you created too!! Such a fun and creative scene!! Gorgeous GF!! Too cute! Have a great Sunday!! TTYT!!
hugs,
Chris

Hellma said...

Your card is gorgeous, love the grass you have created.

Miesje said...

Oh wow - this is a beautiful scene - such fun and so colorful! Love the devotion this week - something that we cannot have too many reminders for! Have a great week Grace!

Unknown said...

Your card is beautiful and your words are even better! I stopped by today to tell you I loved your card, but ended up getting so much more from your post! Love your devotional today. So very true. I learned this as a child and young girl as the recipient of negative words and now I try to always be an encourager. Thanks so much for such an uplifting post!

Linby said...

What an absolutely beautiful card, so colourful.
Linbyx

Denise said...

Fantastic card. Love the image and all those gorgeous papers you have used. Thanks for joining us at DYSU this week xx

Patti J said...

Grace, your card is beautiful. That sweet image looks like she could just walk away - you have colored her so beautifully, and created such a 'real' scene! I very much enjoyed your words this morning. Thenk you for giving me something to take with me always! Hugs, dear friend - have a great Sunday!

Unknown said...

What a precious card (all that stitching!) and wonderful devotional. Timely words for me as I consider speaking the truth to someone near and dear to my heart.

Lori said...

As always, I so enjoyed your scripture and though provoking devotional. The way I speak to my daughter has always been very important to me. She has high self esteem because of it. Of course, being human, I see the hurt when I say the wrong thing. Your scene is wonderful and so cheerful!

Anonymous said...

Fab card, so cute! thanks for joining us on this weeks One for the Kids Challenge @ Top Tip Tuesday,

WE are having a DT call too! and we have Candy on offer for those promoting it check this post out for the info :
http://toptiptuesday.blogspot.com/2011/05/design-team-call-now-open.html

Traci M said...

Grace, thank you for sharing your devotional today!! It is a timely one for me as I am faced with some trials in this area!
I love your card...the frilly grass and hills and sky are great additions to this sweet image. She is sitting on my desk right now...one of my favorites!! Have a blessed day!!

Becky said...

What a fabulous scene you created Grace..Love how you stitched the hills and those papers are gorgeous.
Wonderful devotional this morning. Something we need reminding of daily.

America said...

Hi Grace!! WOW!! Thank you for the wonderful reminders! You are so sweet! I love visiting your blog not only crafty inspiration but also for your wonderful uplifting verses and words you share. THANK YOU!! :)

Wendy @ E-1-A said...

Really cute card Grace (really love the grass)... Also, your words are truly inspirational and encouraging which typifies you as you are Grace, i.e. an inspiration and encouragent to so many people. Thank you xx

Eva said...

Grace...WOW, WOW and MORE WOW!!!! Your card is beyond stunning, so love the little scene you created!!! Your grass, the clouds and your coloring, everything is just DIVINE!!!

Amy C said...

Wow!! This is really gorgeous!! I ♥ the curled grass, the rolling hills, the puffy clouds, that sweet image, the stitching......well just ALL OF IT!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Hugs,
Amy
http://www.scrappingmommy.com

Traci S. said...

Hi Grace~

I love when you share your thoughts on His Word! And, you calmly but directly remind us of the meaning and responsibility His Word gives us in different ways. Thank you always for thithe wisdom that you share with us so beautifully.

I love this card! It is adorable! Those hills are wonderful! So unique! I love all of the colors you have put into this card, and the sweet grass. The clouds are great! I love this little girl and her choo-choo! You colored her so beautifully, Grace. She looks like she and her friends (Teddy and Bunny) are on their way to go share the Gospel with her friends over at the park! Thank you so much for sharing your card, and from your heart.

He IS Able,
Traci S.

WencheP said...

Oh my gosh - this is fantastic! How can you not like this? Fabulous! Thank you for joining us over at Do You Stack Up.

-Wenche

Unknown said...

That is just so sweet - love the grass

kitten DYSU team

ChristineCreations said...

Grace this is just a fantastic card! I love the the patterns and the hills and the grass...so cheerful and FUN! Thank you for being a woman who speaks words of encouragement and hope!

Davi said...

I have always loved this scripture...such an powerful reminder about how we use our words! Your card is fabulous. Such a sweet innocence about it!! Thanks for the important challenge to check ourselves before we speak!

Anita said...

This is a beautiful card. Love the hills made from the different pp and the grass is so cute too. Thank you for entering the Divas by Design challenge this week.

Anonymous said...

wow just beautiful, love this card.
Thanks for joining us at Clear It Out

Heather said...

Morning Grace - well it's morning here!!
What an adorable card - I love the scene you have created, your cute little MFT image is so sweet and all that stitching sets the whole card off perfectely.

So glad you could join us at Basic Grey,
hugs
Heather xx

Star said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!

Thanks for playing with us at Happileigh Scrappin'!

xx Star

Unknown said...

Fabulous card. I love it & thanks for playing with us at Divas

Caroljenks said...

What a gorgeous card - I just love your grass!

Thanks for joining us this week over at Top Tip Tuesday for our 'One For The Kids' Challenge :)

Good Luck!

Carol x

velta said...

Hi Grace ~ Your card is precious and I love the grass :) Your words are infectious and, again, I have copied your words and sent them to friends, family, etc. Thank you SO much for sharing!!

Rushd Lady said...

I thot I added my teacup card to SSIC for last week's challenge. Did it not show up? By the way, love your grass. Doesn't it get crushed when you mail it though?

paper fun said...

Lovely. I love the hills and grass.

Thanks for joining us at Creative Card Crew.

Mari

Mandy said...

Such a wonderful card,lovely layout and image. Thanks for joining us this week at Truly Scrumptious...
Mandy x

Unknown said...

This is such fun - love the patterns

kitten DYSU team

Sabrina Jackson said...

Sweet Grace, your card is so very beautiful...even my little one said: "Mommy, can you make me a card like that?" You are so creative not just with paper, but also in words. Your devotionals always so very encouraging and give you that extra little somthing that makes you say "Hmmmm, did not really think of it that way" Thank you fr sharing your love of GOD in such an amazing way!! LYM, Sabrina

Anne H. said...

Your summer-card is wonderful!
An adorable image and beautiful colors. I love all the lovely details.
Thanks for joining us this week at Stampavie and More.
Anne

Janna Werner said...

Grace, this is supercool! Thanks so much for sharing your celery-white-sea glass blue creativity with us at DYSU Challenge Blog this week :) Janna

Rachel B said...

Fabulous card. I love all the elements on this and your coloring is fabulous too! Thanks for playing along with us at Clear It Out.

*Alison* said...

I adore this.. GREAT Job.. Congrats on winning over at DYSU.. this card is AMAZING.. anyone would LOVE to have this.. :) Can't wait to see what you create next week.. HUGS

Alison
DYSU Owner

Hannah Clark said...

This is so sweet! I love the bright papers and that grass! Just a gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us at Penny's!

g said...

what a beautiful card! gorgeous colors & papers! & thanks for such wonderful words too- i needed the reminder to be more encouraging!

Shirley said...

OMGosh! She is adorable and the card is perfect for her!!

Robin McK said...

Hi Grace!
Amazing job on this - the patterned paper rolling hills are brilliant! Great stitching too!
Thanks for joining us at Some Odd Girl!