Monday, October 5, 2009

New Technique: Faux Suede

Hello everyone! Happy Monday!

I played with the technique lovers challenge today... faux suede. Unfortunately my photo isn't the best to show the suede panels... but the light tan (Creamy Caramel) are the faux suede..

I also wanted to play along with the Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge this week, which was based on Ps.97:1 " The Lord reigns, let the earth rejoice; let the oceans be glad".

We were to make a card showing the earth, seas, trees, mountains... rejoicing. I thought of this beautiful scene that shows so much of the beauty of nature that God created rejoicing!

The image is from this month's new releases at Our Daily Bread designs... With Deepest Sympathy. I did not make this into a sympathy card however... I just made it masculine and plan on putting a sentiment inside on this one, though there is room for a sentiment on the outside as well.

This image makes me think of the 23rd Psalm... "The Lord is my shephard, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul..."

I stamped the image with Archival Jet Black on Water Color paper and watercolored with SU! Markers, using a wet on wet technique.
The base is Bazzill basics, the textured blue is ProvoCraft and the faux suede is creamy caramel.

I did sew the blue panel to the base this time and so sorry I did because my sewing machine got all messed up and I ended up doing closer to a satin stitch than a zig zag to cover up the mess. Oh well..... that's why I rarely sew on my cards, because my machine hasn't worked right since I rehopolstered my sun room furniture! Have to get it fixed!!!

I did faux stitching on the faux suede so I wouldn't mess that up. I pierced the faux suede corners, added some twine and used the Martha Stewart Leaf Edge Punch for the panel outside and inside.

That's about it for today!

I hope you are enjoying this Monday! It's raining here and I'm enjoying it! Great stamping weather!!! Have a blessed day!
Photobucket

15 comments:

JazzyH said...

Wow that looks like suede. Great card!

Silke Ledlow said...

WOW - this is simply GORGEOUS!!! I have never tried this technique, but it sure looks awesome!!! Hugs ~S~

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Grace - this is spectacular!! I love the way you have coloured it - and that faux suede technique is fabulous...suits this card perfectly!! Your creativity knows no end my friend...there is always inspiration to be found here - thank you Grace!! God bless you!! {{{hugs}}}

Crystal said...

Grace this is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! LOVE the faux suede!!!

Dawn B. said...

I really like the suede look Grace. It makes a beautiful background. My machine does not like cards. I think yours looks great. Super job on this challenge.. Send me some sun...

peggysue said...

I am sure the sunroom furniture looks great though! And I like that big expanse of blue behind your scene, as though the water just continues on. Such a beautiful creation, thanks so much for sharing your talents with us to view and enjoy.

Francie G. said...

This is beautiful, Grace! You did a wonderful job with the faux suede tech! Love the beautifully colored scene!

Helen said...

Faux Suede?!? THAT'S SO COOL! I've never seen that technique before! You did an amazing job on this card! It's awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us and playing along at SSCC!
Blessings!
~H

Anonymous said...

Grace, your card depicts the earth rejoicing so well. Looking at this scene reminds me that He made it for us to enjoy also. He is so good to us. Thanks for playing with us at SSCC. Looking at your designs is always enjoyable.

Stephanie said...

Grace - I think the stitching looks fantastic. I love how well the thread matches - gives it such a great look, especially w/the faux suede :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is so beautiful Grace!! I just love your coloring and that brilliant blue!! The faux suede is perfect as are the leaf punches.

hugs,
Chris

Kathy W. said...

WOW!! You've out done yourself this time. This is gorgeous:) Thank you so much for playing with us this week. I've enjoyed seeing what you have created every challenge:)

Kelley said...

Awesome colors...so rich! The sky is real pretty!

Kristine said...

OH WOWZIE, WOWZIE!! Grace, this is STUNNING! :) You had me with brigth bold colors and the deckled rectangle, but that faux suede piece and the punchy border too!?? LOOOVE THIS! :)
(can you tell I really love this?) LOL

Thank you so much for playing along with us at Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenges!! xXx

Mary Marsh said...

this is such a gorgeous card