Monday, April 7, 2014

May I be Willing Lord...

Hello friends!  I hope you are all doing well!!

Today I'm sharing a card I made for two challenges on SCS, and this week's Word Art Wednesday, which is always anything goes.    One of the SCS challenges was  the TLC, which was to make an embedded die.  This is basically when you use the negative part of the die cut for your frame, and then piece the cut out back in.  I used this technique on the cross die cut, which was cut using the April ODBD release, Ornamental Crosses Dies. I stamped my violets image from The Lord has Risen (a past release) onto the cut out cross, colored it with Copics and inserted it back in to the cut away area.  The label it is on was cut with one of the dies from the Vintage Flourish Pattern Die set, as is the background die.  I embossed the panel with a Sizzix embossing folder, which was the other challenge, the Clean and Simple challenge.   I mounted it all on a piece of the ODBD Christian Faith Paper Collection designer paper.  For the image, I stamped the violets image with Memento ink and colored with Copics and hand cut it out. I stamped the sentiment from The Cross set, and I popped up the label on dimensionals, as I did also with the main panel.  I also used the Flourish Labels Border stamp set to stamp my border with Dusty Concord. 

One of the things I love about the new dies, including this background is that you don't need much embellishment when you can have such a beautiful focal point just by die cutting!  Since I was entering this in the CAS challenge, I did not add one embellishment, and it is totally flat for mailing.

The sentiment on this card is a thought provoking one!  What does it really mean to take up our cross and follow Him?


Luke 9:23 

And He said to them all, “If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.

In context, I believe the above Scripture is referring to our daily need to identify with Jesus Christ as our Savior.  He later said that if anyone is ashamed of Him before men, He will be ashamed of him before the Father.  I also think one of the strongest implications is that we must deny ourselves, putting Him and His priorities first and foremost in our lives.  Denying ourselves is, lets face it, one very difficult task for us! We all have our own agendas, burdens, pains and sorrows, but they should not be what identifies us, or gives us our purpose.  Jesus and HIS agenda should.  What I love most about the sentiment is how it addresses our need to bear our cross DAILY.  I believe the Lord uses this word because he knew that this commitment is a day to day, even moment to moment surrender of our wills to His.  Are we always successful in this?  Well, I doubt it!  I know I'm not!  However, my heart's desire is to be surrendered to Him, to identify with Him as my Savior, and to not be ashamed to stand up and say so.  
 Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting with me today!  Have a blessed week!

 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Grace,
At first glance I knew the cross looked very special. Your card is crisp and beautiful. Thank you for joining us this week at Word Art Wednesday. Blessings, Carole

Becky said...

So beautiful Grace! Love it!!!

Irish Cherokee said...

Do you ever feel there are no superlatives to describe what you are seeing. I am there with this card. This card is beyond mere words so I will just enjoy it for a bit.

Katie Sims said...

This is stunning! Love this!!

kiwimeskreations said...

Grace this is fabulous - love the rich purples you have used on the pansies and the contrast of the white against the purple background.
Blessings
Maxine

CherylQuilts said...

Grace, this is one of my favorite ODBD flowers, and you have really used it so beautifully in this card...both on the front and peaking through the cross! So absolutely elegant with a wonderful sentiment that I must remember well each day! Hugs, my sweet friend!

Traci S. said...

Hi Grace-
This card is stunning! I love African Violets.They remind me of my Grammy. She had about a room full of them. I love the colors. I think the bright white really makes the colors bolder! I particularly like how you shared your wisdom about taking up our cross daily. You really explain Biblical truths in such an honest, but easy way to understand!
I love you, My Sister!

He IS Able,
Traci

http://He-IS-Able.blogspot. com

Traci M said...

Hi Grace! Your card is so lovely...the cross embedding just makes it come alive. I love reading our devotional thoughts as well!! Wonderful words with rich meaning. Blessings!

Only By His Grace said...

Hello Grace!
your card is very beautiful. so much to comment on. I love the techniques you used with embedding the cross. Also using the same stamped image coloured on the cross. So effective. The background looks gorgeous with that paper behind perfectly matched to your African violets. They remind me of when I lived in New Zealand before we came to live in Australia. We had lots of African Violets in different colours. I think the weather over there was perfect for growing them. They did like being inside best though.
The sentiment you have used is something we need to be reminded of daily. Not an easy task at times but His strength is found in our weakness.Always a pleasure visiting with you Grace.
Hugs Maz

SarahGeorge said...

Oh my!! What a gorgeous card Grace!! I'm always in awe of your white based cards!! They are perfect!! :)

JD/ Jill said...

Such a beautiful card! I have that

African Violet stamp and it always reminds me of my mother. She aways had them sitting on her window sill they always looked like they could have been in a florist shop.
Grace this sentiment is really thought provoking for me today...and I sent you an email to tell you why....Hope you are having a good week.

Nicki Olsen said...

Stunning Grace!! I LOVE the purple (of course!) and the flowers behind the cross cut out is SO clever!! Beautiful!!
Blessings,
Nicki