Tuesday, July 6, 2010

ODBD Bread Scripture book and Tutorial


Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday! Today I have a little project I made using the newly released July Our Daily Bread designs sets "Our Daily Bread" and "The Living Bread". As promised, I'm going to do a little tutorial on how I made this Scripture book, focusing on how I made the bread shaped pages. I looked everywhere for this shape in a template somewhere and could not find one, so this is how I came up with my own:

Materials Needed:
Cardboard
Sturdy Card Stock (I used Papertrey Vintage Cream)
Adhesive (Good Glue Stick or TomBow Multi)
Sanding block
Magic Matter Tool or other means to mat 1/4" onto shape
Paper snips
Craft blade
1" Ring

1. Fold a piece of printer paper in half and draw the shape of a half slice of bread.

2. Cut out the shape you drew and open fold. You now have a full "slice" of bread. My scripture book measures about 6" high and 6" across at the widest part of the bread. The recipe book I made is about 4.5" in both dimensions. It's up to you and what you want to fit on the pages.


3. Trace your pattern on heavy card stock making one for each page you want. (If your cardstock is not heavy you might want to do chipboard or cardboard for all your pages. I just used cardboard for my covers)

4. Cut the paper shapes and stack up to be sure they are cut the same. Clean up any little differences.

5. Using a Magic Matter Tool (which adds an even mat to any shape) trace around your paper pages onto your cardboard, adding 1/4". Cut two.


6. Cut out your cardboard covers out.

7. Trace the cardboard shapes onto cardstock and cut out. This will cover your cardboard for a finished look. If you are not using designer paper to decorate your covers, cut 4 cream or white cs. If you are decorating with designer paper, just cut 2 from cs and cut 2 from your designer paper choices.



8. With a good quality glue stick or TomBow Multi Glue, apply adhesive to cardboard.


9. Adhere card stock to each cover. If using designer paper, adhere cs to just one side of each cover and repeat process with your designer paper.

10. When adhered, trim any areas that are not exactly even using your craft blade.


11. Using a sanding block, smooth out your edges until you are satisfied with the look.


Now you are ready to decorate your pages! When finished, line up all your pages exactly together and punch holes and insert rings to hold book together. Add ribbons as desired. Here are some of my pages... I'll be adding more, which is the great thing about the rings... you can always add to your book!










Supplies Used for decorating pages:
Designer Paper: BasicGrey Origins, Prima First Blush, K&CO Ancestry
Ink: Versafine Vintage Sepia, TH Distress Inks
Accessories: Spellbinder's Labels 5, 7, 11, 13, Contemporary Hearts Pendant, Nellies Multi DieCut, QuicKutz Corner Die Cut, ZVA Creative Pearls and silk flowers, MS Punch, May Arts Wrinkled Ribbon, Lace, Prima silk flower, Joy die cut scroll, Misc. pearls


14 comments:

Becky said...

This is great Grace, I love this, and this does look like a slice of bread :). I never heard of a matter tool, how cool.

Judy Rozema said...

Grace, this is such a lovely and creative project! You have outdone yourself! Wonderful!

Silke Ledlow said...

Grace my sweet friend you have outdone yourself!!! This Scripture book is fabulous!!! Love everything about it...perfect details!!! Have a wonderful week!!! Hugs ~S~

jhet said...

Wow! Such a wonderful project, Grace! Are the scriptures back to back or just one for each page? It's lovely! I might give it a try someday. :)

God bless you and thanks for sharing!

♥ Jhet ♥

Crystal said...

Grace oh my I LOVE this, what a work of art!!! Beautiful in every way and thanks for the fab tutorial!!!!! Hugs!

Riet said...

Ohhhh wowwwww Grace,What is this so beautiful.
I love the images and the papers.
So gorgeous colours.

Hugs Riet.xx

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Awesome tutorial and book Grace!! You know I love it girlfriend!! All your work and creative efforts were worth the result!!
hugs,
Chris

Pati said...

Wonderful idea for scripture book! Lots prettier than my index cards I have laying around! Cool to see the Matter tool. SU used to carry similar product, but I missed out on getting it. I will have to research where to get this "new" tool. Is that a new Nestie set in the 2nd pic of your pages?!?? It doesn't look like any of the labels you have listed. :) I know SB has their big reveal of new sets starting next week, is this a sneak peek or am I just not seeing it? :)

Grace said...

Hi Pati, and thanks for the sweet comment! That is not a Spellbinder's die... it's a Nellies Die. If you google it you should be able to find it on line. It's current. The magic matter is not new... I hope it's still available!

Dawn said...

you're just too clever for me! fabulous project Grace!!

**Milu** said...

what a cute idea
all the cards are gorgeous Grace!
In Christ's love
**Milu**

Diamondangelfish said...

This bread shape is brilliant!!! Thank's for sharing the details on how you made this awesome gift idea! I love all the beautiful details you incorporated into this!
Yvonne

NUTHINBUTDABUG said...

THIS IS SOOO HEARTWARMING! I LOVE THIS AND MOST OF ALL YOUR BLOG, YOUR LOVE OF GOD!!

Darlene Gabriel said...

I love this - so creative and what a great way to have some favourite verses grouped together. I love the fact that you made it look like bread. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial too. This is one I'd definitely like to try.