Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peaceful Rest

Hello everyone and happy Sunday! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend! Today's Stampin Sisters in Christ challenge is brought to us by our guest designer, Miesje! The Scripture she chose this week is:

"Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

What a wonderful and comforting verse! Have you ever felt burdened beyond what you could bear? Have you ever felt that you would just break under the weight of it all... or experienced such intense pain that you wondered if you could go on? It is at those times, when we realize how powerless we are in so many ways... and it's also those times when we realize how powerful our Savior is! Not only is He fully able to hear our cry and heal our wounds, our pain, our burdens.... but He is standing ready to relieve us of the greatest burden of all... that of our sin. He loves us with a love that is pure and unending. In love, He provided the way for us to be released from the weight of guilt of all our sin... past, present and future.... and He did that by giving His own life for us. He offers us the greatest peace and rest imaginable... free for the taking! What's even more amazing about the Christian life is that once we give our hearts to the Lord, He also gives us a peace that surpasses all imagination.... He is the source of our deepest joy! We can face uncertain days, difficult days, painful days, knowing that this earth and it's trials are but a drop in a bucket compared to the riches He has for us in glory, and we find strength to help in time of need!

Miesje's challenge to us is to make a project that symbolizes what brings you rest or peace. It could be flowers, an ocean, music, mountains, sitting with a friend, or just reading a book.

Well, while the greatest source of peace for me is knowing my Savior, spending real time with Him, walking in relationship with Him.... I wanted to use this image to represent the peace I feel when I have time to get away from my usual duties to just sit by the ocean and listen to the waves, watch a sunrise or sunset, watch all the beauty of nature and be reminded that even nature calls out of the love and creativity of our maker! It's so comforting to know that that same God who created the seas and the dry land, the expanse of sky and the sun, moon and stars, also created me! He created me in His image to do good things... and gifted me in just the way He wanted so that I could do what He wanted me to do.
So for today's project, I used stamps from Our Daily Bread designs, Serendipity and Verve. The image is one I got for Christmas and adore, but have not had time to ink up, from Serendipity. It so represents what I love to do when we visit our "home" state of Maine. I cut it out with a Spellbinder's Label 11 and colored with Copics. The verse is from Verve and is a plain Jane stamp, which I stamped directly on the dp with Lavendar Lace Ink. The matching bookmark uses a Scripture from Our Daily Bread designs Customer Favorites Series 1. I used this gorgeous Memory Box Poppyfinch dp on Baja Breeze paper, and Baja Breeze ribbon. The punches are Martha Stewart around the page punches. For the bookmark I used the same punches and sponged my sentiment in Baja Breeze, and tied a little hemp twine at the top.

Our sponsor this week is Simon Says Stamp and they are donating a fantastic set "Relax Vacation" which you can see on the Stampin Sisters in Christ post.

We'd love to have you play along... if you do, please place a link to the Stampin Sisters in Christ Blog in your post, and place a direct link to your project on the SSCC thread.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team for more inspiration for this week's challenge!

Here's links to the rest of the team to make it easier for you!

Chris
Cindy
Linda
Randi
Peggysue
Lisa
Miesje
Rebekkah

Thank you so much for looking and for your sweet comments! They mean so much!

I'm linking this to the following challenges:

*Little Red Wagon- Nestabilities
*One Stitch At a Time- lace, ribbon, bows
*By the cute and girly-warm summer days
*Ooh La La Creations-simply summer
*Drunken Stampers- Summer Theme
*Lexis- layers
*Creative Card Crew- to Die for
*PIO- favorite things- image, Scripture
*Incy Wincy-use punches


17 comments:

Miesje said...

I love it Grace, the chair and the flowers and even the way that the hat is sitting on the chair. Great card. I loved reading your reflection, as always! Your insight is amazing!

Becky said...

This is gorgeous Grace, I just love this peaceful scene, and gorgeous colors. Wonderful insight on the scriptures this morning.

Grace Baxter said...

Lovely card, Grace. And thank you for your thoughtful remarks. Everything you said is exactly the way I feel. We are blessed!

Crystal said...

Grace wow this is one beautiful scense...love the punch you used for the background and the matching bookmark...just beautiful!!!! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Kristine said...

Beautiful card and thoughts for today Grace. I love that bookmark too, and your fancy shell border punch is awesome--gives such an elegance to your work. Have a peaceful, restful Sunday!! =)
Hugs!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I know you are away and won't see this until you come back but I wanted to let you know that your card rocks!! I love your summer scene and your dp!! Great use of punches!! The bookmark is beautiful too!! Missin you already!!
hugs,
Chris

ChristineCreations said...

That does look so beautiful and so restful Grace. Such a blessing. And a verse I need to be reminded of so often!

Beautifully created friend!

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Grace,So wonderful card,i love the images and the papers.
So gorgeous colors.

Hugs Riet.xx

Cindy Coutts Designs said...

Grace, this is simply beautiful and your bookmark is fabulous! It's given me inspiration to make one today as I'm starting another book in the Bible to read and I like to write down on my bookmark where I'm at. God bless!

Wendi said...

Sorry I have not had chance before now to visit your blog
Your card is Absolutley Gorgeous as is the bookmark I love those Martha Stewart Punches
Thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la
Wendi

peggysue said...

Grace you put it so much better than I did, what great words for this week! Beautiful card too, i like the lacy border around the image, and that bookmark is beautiful.

Ayelet {Jenny} said...

Lovely card! Thank you for joining us over at BTC&G and Good Luck! :) X

Lori said...

Very relaxing and peaceful, Grace! Sorry, I've been MIA, I love to see your work, just don't always comment!

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Ooo, beautiful summer colors, lovely ideas and always so excellently done! I hope you're having a peaceful summer, Grace!

Hannapanna said...

Beautiful card. Love the summery colours and the gorgeous image. Thanks for joining us over at By the Cute and Girly this month and good luck. Hugs Hanna

Traci S. said...

Oh Grace~

You used two of my favorite Scriptures. I love the one on the book mark...I think of it whenever I see the "son" shine on someone's face. I used to say it as a blessing over my son, when he would finally fall asleep.

Your card is exactly what I do when I really want to escape the pace of everyday living. I love to sit and watch the enormous ocean...and watch the waves roll in and out, over and over...I feel that my problems are so small compared to the crashing sound of the waves...that I can just let go and let God. Even the smell of the ocean relaxes me. I just think about how Great our God is to have created this enormous body of water, with everything in it and of it that makes it what it is. With such a powerful God, my problems are so small.

Of course, it is a wonderful blessing to feel His wonderful gift of peace and joy that can only be felt by knowing Him personally. Thank you for putting these pictures into my mind.

I pray that He will continue to bless you in all ways...even unexpected ways.

Remember~
He IS Able,
Traci S.

nnalorac said...

Beautiful card Grace, lovely colours and the image has such a serene feel to it. Long summer evenings sitting in the garden, well it isn't happening here this summer. Thanks for joining us over on BTC&G this month. nnalorac.x