Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Time With Randi's Song : Shadow Box Wall Art




Hello blogging friends! Today it's my turn to present the "Time With" blog post on the Our Daily Bread designs Blog, and I am sharing a project that I made using this month's release from Our Daily Bread designs, Randi's Song. If you have not read the story of how this set got it's name, please see this post. It will touch your heart! Anyway... on to my project.
I bought two of these shadowbox frames at Tuesday Morning last week and I wish I had gotten more! I had more fun altering it!


This is what the frame looked like when I started


I began by applying some yummy green flocked dp to the inside of the frame. It's so rich! It and the dp on the outside of the frame are from "Me and My Big Ideas - Harvest" 12 x 12 pad.

I then painted the sides and all edges of the frame with Adirondack Espresso Paint.

Once the paint was dry I adhered the dp to the front of the frame. I used a craft blade to cut out the inside opening. I found the corners first, marked them, cut an "X" and then used the blade to follow right along the edge. After trimming the center square of dp, I turned the frame over and trimmed any excess off the front from the back side, using the edges as my guide.


Once the frame itself was covered with designer paper and/or paint, I started to work on all my components.

The first thing I did was make three different designed papers with Adirondack Alcohol Inks. I was inspired by the beautiful job Julie did for our blog hop using alcohol inks and decided to use them for my leaves. So I made three sheets using different combinations of Sunshine Yellow, Meadow, Sunset Orange, Cranberry, and Butterscotch. I used Gold Mixative for all three and then used blending solution, all on glossy card stock. I then stamped the large leaf stamp from Randi's Song, with Black Stazon Ink and then cut out. I used a fine mister to lightly wet the back of the leaves. I did not scrunch them up like I would on regular card stock because with the glossy coating I didn't want it to separate. Instead, when the paper was wet enough to fold easily, I started just molding it, using the vein lines as center points for most of the folds, then just molded the leaves until I liked the way they looked. I then dried them with my heat tool. They dried very stiff.

In the photo below, you see my frame is ready to decorate and I have added a square of foam to the inside. This is where my sentiment will be placed popped up for dimension.


I stamped the words to the hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" with Versfine Onyx Black on Papertrey Vintage Cream, cut it with my Spellbinders Classic Square die small and matted with a piece of the alcohol inked paper I had created, then one mat of Bazzill. I used thick foam to pop the whole panel up off the backing of the shadowbox.
Now for the fun part. I decided to add a few pretty gold filagree leaves from a Recollections pack as backing for my leaves. I then arranged the leaves and adhered with a hot glue gun. The bow is made of gold sheer May Arts ribbon. I have decided to make several of these as gifts if I can find more of these shadowbox frames! It was a fun project... a little time consuming, but well worth it! I hope you enjoyed my project and that it might inspire you to try something other than a card with your new stamps!.
Here is a close up of the leaves and how dimensional they are after being molded while wet.

I am entering this in the following challenges:
ODBD Shining the Light - Anything Goes with ODBD stamps
Creative Friday- Altered Item
Papercutz - Anything Goes
Just Inspirational - Anything Goes
Alphbet Challenge - Y is for Yellow
OLLCB - No Florals
Crafty Pad - Distressed Edges (Ink distressed leaves)
Corrosive - No White Paper
Lil Red Wagon - Something Old, something New (old alcohol inks, new stamps)
Inky Impressions - Anything Goes
Stampavie & More - Autumn
Pixie Dust - Autumn
Stampin for the Weekend - Fall
Crazy for Challenges - Fall
Top Tip Tuesday - Anything Goes



Have a blessed week! I so appreciate your kind comments!

38 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is such a stunning project Grace!! Love your "how to" also. Your leaves are so beautiful and realistic looking!! Gorgeous girl!
hugs,
Chris

Crystal said...

Hi Grace ! Such a BEAUTIFUL project ! Wonderful "tutorial" too... Have missed popping by . Good to catch up with some of your creations and you ! Big hugs !

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Grace - this is beautiful, just beautiful! I cannot see this set without being so deeply moved thinking of Randi's Song - how well it reflects her beautiful heart!!

I love the colours and the light and shade you hve happening here! Your project is perfect Grace - you are so gifted! God bless you my friend - and it is true as we knwo - Great is His Faithfulness! {{{hugs}}}

Becky said...

Grace this is beautiful and those leaves are just gorgeous. What a wonderful gift this will make.

Isn't it always the way, you buy one or two then realize - hey I should have gotten more. ;) but who knew the fabulous things you could create with it.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

What a work of art, Grace! Everything about it is perfect - the colors, the DP and the beautiful leaves. And what an awesome quote! I was over at our Tuesday Morning two weeks ago also looking for shadow boxes. I wasn't lucky enough to find any - hey, it's Tuesday, maybe I should run by there again today! Thanks so much for the inspiration and beautiful eye candy at this time of the morning.

ChristineCreations said...

Just beautiful....so elegant Grace!

Dawnll said...

Grace I just had to pop in to let you know how spectacular this shadow box is. Many of us appreciate you sharing the directions.
Just beautiful!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Grace, oh my goodness, this is so BEAUTIFUL!!! You can send this one right on over here,LOL!!! WOW, it sur looks like a lot of works, but it is so special and those leaves....absolutely stunning!!! Thanks for sharing and now I'll have to see if I can squeeze in a trip to Tuesday Morning ;D. Hugs, Sabrina

Leanne said...

OMGosh - this is absolutely stunning!

This would be a fabulous entry into the Top Tip Tuesday Anything Goes challenge this week - we have 4 amazing prizes up for grabs!!

Hope to see you there!

Leanne xx

Debbie said...

This is stunning Grace - love the whole effect. :) Brilliant distressed effect on the leaves too. :)
Thanks for sharing with us at The Crafty Pad Challenge this week. :)

xxDebbie the Crafty Pad Stamp Designs

Riet said...

This is so wonderful Grace.

Hugs Riet.x

Sandy Ang said...

What lovely details on your work !

Crystal said...

Grace oh my goodness this is sooooo beautiful!!! I LOVE your shadow box and those beautiful leaves!!! Gorgeous gorgeous sweetie!

Maggie's Crafts said...

love it! Thank you for sharing and joining us at TTT at http://toptiptuesday.blogspot.com/

Maggie

x

Beate said...

Fantastic frame, Grace.
Hugs and smiles

Anne H. said...

Your card is wonderful!
Lovely details and beautiful colors.
Thanks for joining us this week at Stampavie and More.
Anne :)

velta said...

Oh dear Grace!!! This is incredibly beautiful...I want to CASE it...and if I do I will give you credit! Again, another piece of art from "Grace!"

Frau Ninchen said...

wow gorgeous and elegant!
thanks for joining us at creative friday!

xx janina

kiwimeskreations said...

grace this is amazing - thank you for all the details you have given - they have given me IDEAS!!

Blessings
MAxine

Dawnll said...

Grace, had to pop in again and thank you for entering your beautiful frame
Thank you for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday. this week

Art By Wanda said...

A gorgeous project!! Those leaves are amazing!!!

Tracy said...

This is really lovely Grace! Those leaves are so beautiful. Great job altering those frames. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Just Inspirational!

Francie G. said...

Stunning, Grace! What a fabulous project! Love those beautiful leaves! Thanks for the inspiration!

The Mama Monkey said...

Gorgeous Grace! I love the leaves!

Mickie said...

So so pretty Grace, I can hear myself walking thru the leaves.

Janet said...

this is so pretty! thanks for joining the corrosive challenge this week!
hugs

Beth Norman said...

So, so beautiful. You are blessed with so much talent.

Daniele said...

great shadow box thanks for joining us at Just Inspiartional
hugs

Kelley said...

Jule sure was an inspiration for you! Your project is so beautiful, Grace!!! Love the directions!!

Unknown said...

Grace, this is super gorgeous!! What an amazing fall shadow box!
Thank you for playing along the FTTC with us.

Pat said...

Super project, gorgeous leaves. Thanks for joining in the challenge at The Crafty Pad this week.

Pat xx

Anonymous said...

This is so gorgeous! Beautiful job! Thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions this week! hugs, Angela

Claire Langan said...

A masterpiece....

Claire Langan said...

a masterpiece...

Caroljenks said...

This is gorgeous and those leaves are absolutely amazing!

Thanks for joining us at Top Tip Tuesday :)

Carol x

Silke Ledlow said...

Fabulous creation Grace! The leaves look amazing and your tutorial is awesome too!!! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us!!! Hugs ~S~

Traci M said...

Wow, this is gorgeous, Grace!! What a neat find at Tuesday Morning, too...was just there yesterday and wish I'd seen these! Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

I really liked the article, and the very cool blog