Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Quilted Thanks Sew Much!

ODBD Stamps and dies: Quilts, Doily Die, designed by Grace Nywening

 Hello all!  I hope your week is going great!!!

I'm popping in with a fun quilt card today.  As the story goes, in early colonial times when Puritan women were making a quilt, they would purposely make a mistake on one square, and that square was their "humility" square. The reason given was that it would be prideful to create something perfect because only God could create anything perfect.  While I believe this is probably a myth conjured up by someone trying to sell their less than perfect quilt, I find myself thinking about it often when I am quilting and of course cannot make it perfect! LOL!   Well... this quilt card is my humility square on paper!  LOL!  There is a booboo in my pattern, but I did not have a pattern to be looking at when I made this,  and I did not see the booboo until I was all done!  So... this little square is keeping me humble! At least what I did wrong is done on all four sections, so actually, it just makes a new pattern! :)  Works for me!

The sentiment is from the Sept release at ODBD, Quilts, and the center medallion is the inner part of the ODBD Doily Dies.  If you look closely you can see that there are actually 2 die cuts in the center of the die, and the little one in the middle looks like a button.  I tied some cream colored yarn through it.

To make the quilt pattern, I cut strips of this gorgeous design paper, Soulful Stitches Paper Collection to 3/8".  I took a 4" square of scrap card stock, drew a pencil line diagonally from point to point.  I ran it through my Xyron machine to tape the entire panel.  If you don't have one you could easily cover the panel with other adhesive... this was just so handy and quick for me to grab.  I then began laying my strips from the inside point and working around and out.  Where I made my mistake is that I was looking so much at the lengths of paper strips I had from previous scraps, that I started out selecting my longest ones and laying them inside my triangles next to each other, not even thinking about my pattern.  You "should" do one side of the "triangle" you have drawn, and then the other side so that there are not 2 strips the exact same length next to each other.  This forms the pattern I was trying to create.  However... as I said... I was being so careful not to cut up any more paper than I had to, I began looking at my long strips and putting them in the longest places.  LOL!  Anyway... you work your way around until all your square is covered.  You then use your trimmer to trim off any pieces of paper that are extending over the 4" panel.  I decided to frame mine, so I cut a pink square frame using 2 Spellbinders dies: Grand Squares (smallest) for the inside cut out, and Marvelous Squares for the outside cut.   I popped up my quilted panel and stamped the sentiment in the lower right corner of my card.  I thought these little button topped straight pins I've had in my sewing box for some time now were the perfect embellishment for my little bow.  I definitely will be making another one of these and doing it right this time!  It really went very quickly and would be a perfect way to use up scraps!

Hope you enjoyed!

Blessings,


10 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

Beautiful Quilt card Grace. The humility square is a myth according to most quilting researchers. Mistakes are quite common and need not be included on purpose. - Jim

JoAnn said...

This is beautiful. I love the colors and the quilt square. Looks fine to me.

ednamburgess said...

Very beautiful Grace. Not sure I'd have the patience to do this, but may try it. I have so many projects going on right now though. Thanks for the idea. Edna

kiwimeskreations said...

Gorgeous card Grace - and I love your pattern :-) Intentional or otherwise.
Blessings
Maxine

Chana Malkah said...

This is gorgeous, Grace. I am featuring it on our 613 Avenue Create Facebook Page today! Stop by and say hello! www.facebook.com/avenue613

Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner
613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog
http://avenue613.blogspot.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/avenue613

Conniecrafter said...

I think only you could tell the mistake, this is gorgeous and I like how the frame is so pretty with it but doesn't take away from the quilt, Lovely!

Becky said...

This is gorgeous Grace! Even your booboo is gorgeous, tho I can not see anything wrong with this card :). I used to make quilts with my great, great grandmother, she was the first born free slave in the family, and each square told a story of life or a death.

Sue G. said...

Gorgeous!!! Wish all my booboos were that beautiful!!! A wonderful friend just gave the whole set of the ODBD sew/quilt stamps!!! I'll be looking at your creations for inspiration!

Jerri Jimenez said...

This design is absolutely stunning Grace, you've created a very beautiful piece here!

SarahGeorge said...

It seems just the finest to me :) Very beautiful addition to the card.