Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Staying the Course


Hello everyone! Hope you are having a fabulous Wednesday!
I made this card with the newly released Clear Dollar set called Smooth Sailing. I love this set! I stamped the sail boat onto H2O Paper with Archival Jet Black. I watercolored the boat and cut it out. I painted a couple coats of Mod Podge with a stiff bristled brush onto the sails to create a canvas look. After that I antiqued it just a bit with Old Paper sponging. I stamped the image again onto another piece of H2O Paper, masked and sponged my sky and watercolored the water. I wanted to create a stormy feel so I sponged my sky darker than I normally would. I then cut the wave line around the boat with a craft knife and slipped the boat down into that line, to give the waves more depth. I cut this panel out with my Nesties Label #2.
My card base is a Textured Linen CS from my stash... I don't know the brand. The blue dotted layer is from K & Co, and I sewed around the edges with gold thread. The map layer is also K&Co. I mounted it on a mat of the textured Linen but left only a tiny mat showing. I punched a hole with my Crop-a-dile and attached the big eyelet. I passed some great twine from Clear Dollar Stamps through that hole and used tacky tape to hold my curled rope on each end. I wanted that to look like the rope you use to tie off to a dock. I cut the sentiment panel with my smalles scalloped rectangle from H2O paper and attached to the dotted layer with tiny "screw" brads. I sponged all the layers and added the birds in flight (also from this set). I like how this turned out... I hope you do too!
As always... thanks so much for having a look! Have a blessed day!

19 comments:

Becky said...

This is stunning, I love your coloring and how you colored the sky
is gorgeous, you must tell me the secret...:)

somethingcraftybydottie said...

I love this card ! It is just Beautiful! I love all of your colors and how you created the sky is just fabulous, I still love the little mouse below he is just too cute. Have a wonderful day
~God Bless ~
Hugs :o)
♥ ♥ ♥
Dottie

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Grace,what a beautiful card,l love the image and colours.

Hugs Riet.x

Gloria Dojlido said...

Love how this turned out Grace. I especially like how you used the twine for the rope treatment.

Nina's Blog said...

Wow, that is a beautiful card, Grace. I love the coloring you did. How I would love to watch you do that. I'm not very good at it. :-)

Sabrina Jackson said...

Oh my word, Grace!!! This is one stunning card. I love everything about it and could never ever do it myself :(. It looks so very real. Thank you for sharing your talent with us. Hugs, Sabrina

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Grace! This is beautiful! Love your watercoloring, dp, layout, and that curled rope! How creative! Perfect masculine card!

Stacy Morgan said...

Gorgeous Grace. I love this set too. Your shading is wonderful and a great layout. Gorgeous card.

Judy Rozema said...

Wowza, Grace, this is just amazing! A beautiful layout and so many wonderful details!

Saved By Grace said...

Wow this is a beautiful card and so much detail...I love it.

The Mama Monkey said...

This is just beautiful Grace! My favorite part is the way you colored the ocean and sky! Stunning!

Gina Lindsay said...

That is gorgeous. I love the sponged sky. You did a great job with that set.

Lovely Linda said...

Grace this is fabulous - there is nothing that would make this card better - everything about it is so perfectly done. I love the DP's, stamp, embellishments, colours, techniques...you are so talented Grace...Well done!!! Love your recipes too, they are alway so exact- beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing - God bless you my friend!

Rosietoes said...

Stunning card Grace. You are so talented. TFS this beauty with us. :)

Valarie (vampme3) said...

Hi Grace. First of all, I'd like to thank you for your nice comment on my card for SCS yesterday. Secondly, I've been missing you on SCS too! Was just catching up on your latest cards on your blog, and WOW! They are just amazing! The East Coast one is wonderful and reminds me of home (in the summer when I loved it, he he)!!! Keep up the good work! Hugs, Val

Angella D. Crockett said...

I'm so glad I have a FREE night to catch up and leave some comments! I just love your blog....you are such an amazing lady and I just love your big heart!!!
God Bless! Angella

By the way, this card is awesome too! I love what you've done with the rope....very cool!!!

Laurie Wilson said...

Totally magnificent!

Kathy Jones said...

This is fantastic - love the layout and the rope!!!! Amazing card!!!

Ashley Lydia Durand said...

im new to your blog and i love it! your cards are so inspiring! not to mention I love looking through your page and reading your verses and hearing such great blessed music! God bless you, you are sooooooooo talented!!!!!!