Saturday, July 11, 2009

God's Riches At Christ's Expense... Bittersweet

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a fabulous weekend! My card today is a "different" one for me. I used a piece of DP from BasicGrey Bittersweet Pack... it's one of those papers that when I bought the pack I said "I'll never use that design"..... Well.... guess what? Here it is! But I altered it a bit and below are the steps I took. The first is the way the paper started out in the pack.
I found it busy and couldn't figure out how to work with it. So I decided to just cut out the center strip to use on my card... The reddish pink tones reminded me of the heart and the blood, and since I was using this wonderful sentiment from Our Daily Bread Designs Grow In Grace set, I thought that would be appropriate. I also loved the name of the dp... bittersweet. Christ's death was bittersweet in that it cost Him His life's blood, but He redeemed us on that cross, and was victorious over death when He arose.

So at this point I was planning on just using that center strip. But when I cut them apart, I noticed something else.
I put the two outside straight edges together and that formed this neat oval that felt much less busy to me, and again reminded me of a heart with the life-giving blood radiating out from it. So I taped on the back along the straight edges.
Then I laid the center strip across the center again and I liked the look. I cut another strip this same size from Vellum, and stamped my sentiment on that.
I mounted this configuration on the dotted BasicGrey DP and that on a deep chocolate base by Bazzill. I stamped the pretty dogwood image from the same set on Watercolor Paper. I watercolored the image with the three shades of ink I got from Our Daily Bread Designs to use for our Color Challenge. That ink is really great! I love watercoloring with it! I used Terra Cotta, Olive and Steel Blue in pale hues of each. I then painted the flowers with Shimmerz Angel Wings. I cut the ovals with my Nesties and mounted on dimensionals. I did faux stitching on the vellum by piercing and then using a pen to draw in the stitches. I finished off with a sheer swiss dot ribbon and pink pearls from Hero Arts, also from ODBD Store.

Today starts a new weekly special at ODBD... sign up for the newsletter in my right side bar to find out what each week's special is!!!

Thanks for looking and have a blessed weekend!!!
Photobucket

16 comments:

Jane Wetzel said...

My goodness Grace..this is breathtaking...

Stephanie said...

Okay, Grace...WOW!! I first saw the photo of the card and thought, "How did she do that?" Thanks for reading my mind & including all the details :)

This card is gorgeous and I love how you made the DP work. I have a bunch that I feel the same way about that I'm now going to give another chance!

Holly said...

That is an amazing tutorial of how you worked out that paper! I've never seen something like that and it really makes you think about how you can "play" with what you have and make it work. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your card. So stunning and the sentiment is beautiful!

Rosietoes said...

What a find Grace! I am amazed at the change in the paper that you effected just by cutting it and reversing the patterns. The card, it goes without saying, is stunning. Love your treatment with the polka dots and ribbon.
Edna x

Stacy Morgan said...

I just saw this on scs, very cool how you did the background Grace.

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Grace,what a beautiful card,l love the image and colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

stampmonkey said...

What a gorgeous card! I love what you did with the patterned paper, your use of vellum, the Shimmerz, and the touch of distressing --just beautiful! And I LOVE your blog and your artwork is very inspiring! I don't mean to gush, but I'm just so glad I found your blog! ;)

peggysue said...

Very clever job using a difficult piece of DP, I buy paper pads too and then wonder what to do with some of them. Lovely card, great job distressing and I like the shimmer. You always have such a good way of placing the sentiment too.

Lovely Linda said...

Wow Grace - this is eyecatching - just jumped out at me - I love this look and L-O-V-E what you did with the DP! So very creative Grace - you have used these stamps amazingly in so many ways - Way to go!! Thanks for being such an inpiration and a friend...God bless you!! {{{hugs}}}

Priscilla said...

your card is just beautiful..thanks for sharing on my blog about Aug 14t..Congratulations to you :) 38 years wow..what is your secret?

Silke Ledlow said...

Grace - this is soooo unique and gorgeous - I love it!!! Hugs ~S~

Gina Lindsay said...

You did a fantasitc job altering that paper. I will have to remember that tip!

Kathy Jones said...

WOWZAS Grace!!! This is extraordinary!!! LOVE how you changed the paper - beautiful design, colours....GORGEOUS!!

Becky said...

Wow! I have that paper and I am glad you explained how you did that :). This card is beautiful and love the ribbon.

Crissy Armstrong said...

Your blog is like a haven of rest. I am being ministered to, just coming here. The music, and your glorious cards that speak so loudly of God and His amazing love for us. You are an inspiration. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving some love there too! I'm so glad you came by.
Hugz!

The Mama Monkey said...

Beautiful use of the paper! I love the image and the grace stamp! It pulled together beautifully!