Monday, July 6, 2009

Stand Up Lotus Blossom

Hello everyone! Today I had the chance to play in my stamp room. I made this card for today's TLC187 on SCS, which was this neat stand up card. The directions were written by Penney Wassenauer and can be seen here. They were very easy to follow. I also had chosen an inspiration challenge on Sat. but I was unable to stamp over the weekend because I was busy with guests. I chose this poster from Posters.com for my inspiration. I was struck by the beauty of the simple black and white poster. My intention was to do everything in black, white and gray. When I stamped my image however, I decided to add light hints of color to pop it.

I stamped the image (from The newly released Our Daily Bread Design, Mother Teresa) with VersaMark and heat embossed with SU! Black Embossing Powder. I then just ever so lightly tipped the edges with my new Our Daily Bread Inks and watercolored, then colored the leaves and stamens with Shimmerz Candle Light, and the Lotus Blossom itself with Angel Wings. It is raining today and I can't seem to get the shimmer in the photo... but it's there! I cut a shimmery pink paper with my Nestie Blossom die, then cut out my image and mounted on the pink with dimensionals.

My "dp" is computer generated. I decided to use Bazzil Gray for my base, then I matted all panels in black and white. The outter panels are stamped with an image from another new ODBD new set called "Let Us Begin", as is the sentiment. The sentiment is just one word cut out of a longer quote. I cut that with a Nestie ribbon tag and added shimmery pink sheer swiss dotted ribbon. I lightly colored the end panel lotus blossoms the same way I did the main image. I added pearls and done. All pretty straight forward and it came together quickly. If the sun comes out and I can get a better photo I will.

The ink pads from Our Daily Bread are a great deal right now! They are 25% off this week until Friday! Also on sale are the Tim Holtz Distress Inks... so check it out! To get all the weekly special sales right in your in box, sign up for the news letter... see the blinkie on my right side bar.
Photobucket

20 comments:

Dawn B. said...

This is really beautiful card Grace. I looked at the challenge but didn't try it. I love the black and white with just a hint of color. I really like the way it stands up. I may have to give this a try. GREAT new background.

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Grace, I love your new background - very pretty! Your card is fabulous and dramatic!! Love the black and white with a light dusting of colour - the shimmer would be stunning I am sure!! Amazing how the camera never picks it up!! Great inspiration and 'inspired' card Grace...your work is always so stunning!! ODB is blessed to have you as Guest DT Member - thanks for sharing - you work is always inspiring!! God bless you!!

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Grace this is so beautiful! Love the little hint of color!

Silke Ledlow said...

Oh my goodness - Grace - your take on the challenge is awesome!!! What a beautiful card!!! Love it!!!
Hugs ~S~

Crystal said...

Grace this is absolutely STUNNING!!! Gorgeous card and design...WOWZA!!!

Stephanie said...

Grace - great addition with that 'dp'. I love the stamp you chose for the side panels - makes it look so elegant :)

Connie M. said...

Oh my Grace...You have out done yourself! This is truly amazing! Love how you incorporated all three lotus images! Just perfect!!

stampinganja said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!
Really nice and thanks so much for sharing, Anja

Stacy Morgan said...

Very pretty! I really like the colors you used and great job with this challenge. Looks hard to me. lol

Sabrina Jackson said...

Oh my word, Grace, this is such a gorgeous card!!! You rock all of the challenges!!! Absolutely stunning!!! Hugs, Sabrina

Kathy Jones said...

WOW Grace!!!! This is Spectacular!!!!! Love what you've done with the new ODBD stamps and the colours are fabulous!!! Love your new look blog too!!!

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Grace,what a beautiful card,l love the image and colour.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

Angella D. Crockett said...

This is so awesome, Grace! I love it!

Traci M said...

My visits here are always such a visual delight and long spiritual drink with your uplifting music, Grace!
Your card is beautiful, serene, and yet stunning at the same time. I have not tried that technique yet, maybe later this week. I'll take your word that it is easy to do!!

Gina Lindsay said...

Wow this is certainly eye catching, I love the colors and your image is gorgeous.

Kelley said...

Great project, Grace! Love it!

Holly said...

Grace~
One word: Stunning! Your ability to create such a mood with your art is truly a gift. I love the different shape of it too! Just lovely!

The Mama Monkey said...

Just beautiful! I love the contrast in your colors! What a neat background! I would love to hear more about using the computer generated backgrounds!

Silke Ledlow said...

Fabulous take on the TLC and the IC!!! This looks sooooo cool!!! I love it!!! Hugs ~S~

Becky said...

This is stunning Grace, love this card, I must try this.