Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Shaker from the Shore!

ODBD stamps: The Mighty Sea, Ocean Treasures, designed by Grace Nywening

 Hello friends!  I hope you are all doing well!

I had fun playing in some of the DTGD challenges over on SCS this past week.  It was CRAZY how many challenges there were, and while I did get to complete a card for every challenge (49 challenges in a week) I did NOT make 49 cards!  There is no way at the speed I work that that could ever happen!  However, I did manage to create cards that fit several challenges at a time and thereby got them all done with only 18 cards.  Still.... for me... that's still a LOT!  LOL!

Anyway... that said... here is one of the cards I made.  The challenge was a shaker card, and I used a past release from ODBD, The Mighty Sea, and a current release, Ocean Treasures for my sentiment.  The image is colored with Copics except the sky, which is done with pastel chalks. I used a white pen for highlighting the waves. I stamped the image twice so that my card base and the overlay would line up to form a seamless scene. The plastic shaker itself is from Impression Obsession.  I filled it with some tiny blue micro-beads, and some of the tiniest shells you've ever seen!  We picked these up on N. Myrtle Beach the last time we went and I was so excited to find so many tiny ones that were whole!  The "sand" in the foreground is from Muddpuddles and was a gift from a dear friend.  The little starfish is a gift from another very dear friend and I have hoarded it for a while, but this seemed to be the time to use it.  The sentiment is punched with a SU! punch and colored to match the sky colors.

I hope you enjoyed this and that in some small way it might have inspired you to try one!  Just about anything can be put in a shaker!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Today's Blessing from the Word:
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - think about such things"

Phil. 4:8


13 comments:

Dawn B. said...

Grace this is amazing. I feel like I am at the ocean just looking at it. I am missing the sandy beaches. Sadly we didn't get there this summer. Hope all is well with you.

JD/ Jill said...

This is my all time favorite image from ODBD. What an fabulous job you did with it...Never would have thought to use it for a shaker card...but it's just perfect for that...Only have made one shaker card so far, but you sure have inspired me with this treasure.

Cathymac said...

This is just a gorgeous shaker card, Grace! Love all the realia and texture, and the coloring is spectacular! Congratulations on completing all the DTGD challenges…that's quite an accomplishment even with combining them! Hugs, dear friend!

Unknown said...

Truly a work of art! 🎨 Amazing car. I certainly feel like I'm at the beach. Thanks for bringing the beach in this card!

Gretchen Wilson said...

Lovely as the tide rolls in, amazing card and just gorgeous Grace.

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow Grace, this is amazing - love all the tiny shells and the beautiful composition of this. Well done.
Blessings
Maxine

Becky said...

Grace, this is awesome...from the beautiful sky to the roaring sea. I can almost hear the waves crashing against the shore. So much detail here ... I feel as if I am right there.

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, love your shaker idea and such great coloring!

SarahGeorge said...

What a lovely creative work Grace!! Totally Awesome!!

scrapan said...

WOW!!!! That's about all I can say about this card!! An absolutely beautiful work of art. I've only done one shaker card in over 6 years of making cards and it took me 4 hours to complete it. I vowed I'd never try it again; well... you've made me reconsider that!

Becky said...

wow Grace, this is awesome. I love the shells and your coloring of this is just fabulous.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is absolutely stunning sweet friend!! I comment on SC but this is definitely worthy of another comment! I Love everything about it!! Gorgeous coloring and design!!
hugs,
Chris

Irish Cherokee said...

This is one of my favorite images from ODBD. Amazing creation into a shaker card. Love the real shells and sand. Beautiful. Jim