Friday, March 7, 2014

How sweet it is ... and a fun pop up!


 Hello friends!  I hope you are enjoying the beginnings of a wonderful weekend!  After sleet, snow rain and wind yesterday and this morning, we are certainly looking forward to the 60's that are predicted for the weekend!  

I am excited to share this card with you today.  It was so fun to create!  I used this month's ODBD release: Honeycomb Background, Sweeter Than Honey, Zinnia (bees) as well as the Zinnia and Leaves dies to cut them out. 

I stamped the honeycomb background with VersaMark and clear embossed, then sponged with various Distress Inks, and then cut out to form a "frame" for my image and sentiment.  I stamped the image and sentiment with Memento and colored the image with Copics, making another Glossy Accents blob of honey on the jar and on the "table".  When that was dry, I added my honeycomb frame  and matted with the black polka dotted designer paper (Crafty Secrets), and put on a base of white. I added some more Glossy Accents to some of the honeycomb cells.  If you look closely you might be able to see the effect of ooey gooey honey in there. I added the little gingham bow and then moved on to the inside.

I had this idea to add a fun interactive element to the inside, so as you open it up, here is what you see.


As you can see, I used the cut-away background inside, along with more of the designer paper, but the fun thing was this pop up bee!


 To create the pop up, I used a circle punch (1") and hand cut a spiral around it until I was to the end.  I die cut one bee, colored it and adhered it to the spiral.  I doodled dash lines on both sides of the spiral, and then cut a Spellbinders Label for  a place to write my message, and adhered the other end of the spiral behind it.  To be sure the spiral would lay right, I curled it up in to it's circle, and with the bee adhered, I closed the card and marked where the spiral ended, and that's where I adhered the end. 

I hope you enjoyed my fun little card.  I do so many serious cards... it's nice to jump out of the box and play in a different box for a little while! LOL!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

Today's Blessing:
Romans 5:5
"For we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love."

Hugs,

9 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

A special and creative pop up card. The honey looks like you could dip a spoon into it and sweeten your cereal with it.

Blessings

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Grace, this is absolutely amazing! I love it...just jaw-dropping! Hugs, sweet friend!

Lori said...

Oh Gee Grace, My very fist thought was "Geez, that is adorable!!" I have no rhyme or reason for it, but I have always loved working wigh bees (on paper that is!) I always enjoy seeing your creative side. Your work is always stunning. The Good Lord has truly blessed you with an amazing talent! Love ODBD too!
Hugs Lori
stamper572000 at yahoo dot com

Conniecrafter said...

I just love how you used the honeycomb stamp on the front to frame and on the inside of the card, love your flowing honey, very cool pop up for the inside!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is absolutely gorgeous sweet friend!! I love it inside and out!! Your honey looks so real!! BEAUTIFUL!
hugs,
Chris

wannabcre8tive said...

So pretty, I love the honeycomb.

Becky said...

What a cool card Grace. I love how you did the honeycomb.

christina d said...

I love the card. I just got the bundle and now I have an idea how to use the bees!

SarahGeorge said...

I truly enjoyed!!! :) It was like with you as you did the card :) Step b step making was very helpful in understanding the details of work you've done. Always admire your neat stamping :) Great fun card :)