Monday, June 7, 2010

The Beauty of God's Creation


Hello everyone! Welcome to another Stampin Sisters in Christ Challenge! Kathy is our hostess today and she chose the following verse:

Genesis 1:26, And God said,"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Kathy's challenge today is:
Make a card/project that has some kind of animal on it. It could be a fish, bird, or land mammal, or a bug.:)

It's an amazing thought that God actually made man in HIS image! There's a wealth of things that could be said just about that! There's also much to be said about His putting man in dominion over His creation and the responsibility we bear in that! But as I pondered this verse and what I wanted to do for this challenge.... I knew I wanted to focus on the beauty of nature that God in all His CREATIVITY placed on the earth... and how He blessed man with it all! If you know me at all, you know I love birds... especially Chickadees.... but I find all of God's creatures so amazing! From the wonders of reproduction, to the instincts that all living creatures have, I just stand in awe of the mind of our God! Just think about the process a butterfly goes through before he becomes a butterfly!!! How does that caterpillar that crawls along the ground cocoon himself up and emerge a most beautiful creature that flits from flower to flower, helping to perform yet another function God designed him to do? Could that process ever occur just by chance? I think it's amazing to consider the instincts that God put in His creatures, great and small!

A couple of weeks ago our neighbor saw a turtle lay her eggs up in their yard. She dug her hole, and then labored to lay her eggs, carefully covered up the eggs and then plodded back down to the lake. That may sound like no big deal, except that their house is a LONG way up hill from the lake!!! She had a long trip to make to find the perfect place to lay those eggs, and then instinct helped her find the water again. And you know what? I'm betting those babies will have no trouble finding their way to the water either! Was that turtle born with the knowledge to do that? A creative mind put within her the instinct to do what needed to be done to protect her young. Does a catepillar know when he cocoons up what will happen? What makes him go into that cocoon? Can anyone explain how this could happen but by design... and a very intricate intelligent design at that! You'll have to indulge me this week as I know that's not really the main thing this verse is talking about, but it's something I am still amazed at when I think of God's creativity!


I have a fun project to share with you today! I altered a Kaisercraft Memo Board. I have to tell you I absolutely LOVE how it came out! I started by painting my memo board with T Holtz Crackle Paint, and then cutting and adhering my papers. The dark chocolate is Papertrey and I punched the edge with a Martha Stewart Iron Around the page Punch. For the scallops I hand cut them to match the scallop of the wood. I then stamped lots of different butterflies out using my Layers of Color set "Butterfly Collector". I stamped some flowers from the Layers of Color set "Nature Walk". I colored with Copics and cut out everything, then I sprayed everything with Tattered Angel's Glimmer Mist in Iridescent Gold. There is such a pretty glimmer to everything! I added ZVA Creative pearls swirls, some page pebbles, and put in the hooks to hold the memo pad and the key hooks at the bottom. I just can't look at a butterfly without thinking about God! Do you still have those "awestruck" moments? Is your heart still stirred when you ponder this Creator... and are you amazed that He loves YOU? He does!!! I hope you feel that love all around you!

We'd love to have you play along... if you do, please place a link to the Stampin Sisters in Christ Blog in your post, and place a direct link to your project on the SSCC thread.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Design Team for more inspiration for this week's challenge! Whether you use an animal image, a bird or fish image, or a humble little bug.... I hope you enjoy the moment and the beauty and that it brings your thoughts to Him!

Here's links to the rest of the team to make it easier for you!

Thanks for looking and I so appreciate your sweet comments! Have a blessed week!
Thanks also to our sponsor this week,
Wild Flower Kids Stamps - They are donating 5 digital stamps of the winner's choice

I am entering this in the following challenges:

Your Next Stamp-Use a border punch
Pixie Dust~ Punch it out
Delightful Sketches- texture
Daring Card Makers- pearl
Quixotic Challenge- Go Wild
Our Creative Corner-Summer inspired

The Pink Elephant #69 - bright colors
Papertake Weekly - summer fun
Paper Sundaes #21 - summer fun
Cupcake Craft #93: Summer Delights-Summer Colors
Charima Cardz #22: Flowers

31 comments:

Riet said...

Ohhh wowww Grace,So beautiful,i love your papers and the details.

Hugs Riet.xx

Rosietoes said...

Grace this is outstanding. I love it. I couldn't agree more with you about God's creation. Thank you for the reminder that such beauty and intricacy could only come by design. Everything is so closely interwoven and interdependent.
Your beautiful work echoes this sentiment perfectly.
Edna x

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Grace!! I just love it!! Your colors and design with all those butterflies is exquisite!! You can always send it to me. LOL!
hugs,
Chris

I hope Lauren is doing better and Christy had a safe trip!!

Yvonne Hagane said...

Wow wow wow!! Grace, this is absolutely stunning beyond words! What a fabulous piece of art. Love it!

Becky said...

wow... is right. This is fabulous girl, great details and beautiful butterflies, love the red in the center of the flowers.

Human Ape said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy W. said...

I love it Grace!! Great idea and the butterflies are beautiful=)

Kristine said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS memo holder Grace! Love these beautiful butterflies.. and pearls and everything! =) This would look great on anyone's wall!

Anonymous said...

Grace, when I saw this in the line up for today I was blown away and could not wait to see how you made this!!! It is an absolute stunner! Besides knocking this challenge out of the ballpark your take on Genesis is just wonderful and great to ponder. Love all the close up pics, too. Have a great week!

NinaB said...

This is gorgeous, Grace. I just love all the little details.

Unknown said...

this is beautiful I love this I would love to be able to make something like this

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Oh Grace, this is gorgeous! I love butterflies, too. It's obvious how much TLC you put into making this loveliness.

I'm also blessed by what you wrote about the scripture today. You and I were of like mind, but you so it so much more eloquently than I ever could. Thank you so much for blessing me and SSCC!!!

Hugs,
Lisa

MariLynn said...

Grace, love your LOC butterflies on your project. So pretty!!!!

peggysue said...

Grace, no one uses punches quite like you do. This memo board is wonderfully intricate and bursting with detail. Just gorgeous! I like the thoughts you shared as well. Its particularly amazing when you see a bit of God's creation silhouetted all by itself . . . I'm reminded of the tiny snapdragons that grow through the cracks in the sidewalk outside the school office, or seeing a single bird on a branch, that first flash of red cardinal after a long winter. Moments to savor and wonder at God's creation, thanks for reminding us of that.

bsgstamps4fun: Barb Gault said...

Stunning project, beautifully designed and executed! So perfect for the Bible verse challenge.

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

Breath taking, Grace!!! What a marvelous work of art! Every detail is beautiful!!

Peggy Lacktorin said...

ahhhh Grace, this is just stunning...always love your work!!

Irena said...

Very beautiful creation :) I love butterflies :)

Lovely Linda said...

Hello Grace - this is truly a work of art!! I love the different images you have used - this is sucn a gorgeous creation - I am sure it adorns your house beautifully! Love your sharing too Grace - you are such an inspiration! I have a little something on my Blog for you!! Thanks for sharing!! my friend{{{hugs}}}

Kathy said...

This is beautiful
Thanks for sharing it with <a href="http://daringcardmakers.blogspo

Crystal said...

WOW Grace this is totally GORGEOUS!!! Oh my goodness girl fabulous project!

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Grace
Gorgeous,thankyou for joining us at Delightful Sketches,
Hugs Dianne xx

Mickie said...

Totally gorgeous! And yes, God is AWESOME!

Lynda said...

Absolutely stunning!Thanks for joining in with Daring Cardmakers.

Lynda xxx

Sheri Gilson said...

Gorgeous project!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at TPE!!
Sheri-TPE DT

Alica said...

wonderful! great project! love all your butterflies!
Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes!

Christine said...

What an amazing project! Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week!

Ceal said...

Grace this is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

jo said...

Absolutely beautiful Grace!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace~

Oh, I just love your projects! I have been loving your blog for 6 months now, and I have enjoyed every single piece you have shown us! Amazing talent, my friend.

This is so beautiful. I love the colors, the layout, just everything about it reminds me of nature, and the beauty He has put on this earth.

I really enjoyed your story of the turtle. It is so appropriate for so many efforts in our lives. Thank you so much for sharing it with me/us!

He IS Able,
Traci S.

Lisa said...

Beautiful work! Thanks for joining us at Digital Delights!