Friday, May 23, 2014

A surprise party and an old pick up truck!

Hello friends!  I hope you are all doing well!!!

Today I thought I'd share something different I made a couple weeks ago for my Son in Law, who turned 40 on May 15. His parents drove from TX to surprise him and we had a "Big 40" party for him.  Why the truck you might ask?  Well, if you've followed my blog for long you remember when my grandson had his 16th birthday in Jan. I shared some photos of an old 1949 GMC Pickup truck that my Son in Law and my Grandson have been restoring for the past year+.  They have put so much work in to it and it is coming a long beautifully!  It is now painted blue, has a nice shiny chrome bumper, and it's really starting to take shape!  So what else could I do for my Son in Law?  However.... the big 40 is not something to be ignored either!  So I went on the internet and did a search for 49 GMC pickup photos.  I wanted a front shot and a back shot, because I had a little idea of how I wanted to fill the "bed" of the truck.  So when I found these pictures... I was super happy.  I computer generated the sentiments in Word, and the play on words with the "brakes" is because they just made the decision to not upgrade the brakes but just go with the old type.  They live at the top of a pretty good hill and I have been stressing over whether the brakes will hold! LOL!  Anyway... I then  filled the bed of the truck with 40... yes... count them... candles!  These cute little candles are die cuts from Memory Box.  There are 3 small and 3 larger in the set so every pass through your die cut machine cuts 6 at a time.  BIG help when needing 40!  I altered colors that would go with the papers I chose and cut a couple slits in the bed of the truck, tucking in candles every which way.  I adhered to the back and adhered the truck image to the card.  I think he was pretty impressed that I actually found the right truck!



So... while I was at their house... I took some photos with my iphone to show you the progress on their truck.  Sorry if the quality isn't great but... here are the shots I took when they first started the truck, and then what it looks like now:

'
The condition it was in when they bought it.  Does this even look like a truck?  

This is the cab  laying on it's back!





And now... here it is with it's pretty blue pain and bumper, and one headlight! :)




'

They are now reassembling the engine which has been completely rebuilt.  Then the bed will go on and lots of interior work... but it really is coming along well!  This has been a BIG project, but a wonderful time of bonding and working together for my Grandson and his dad.  We are proud of all the hours of hard work they've put in to this, and we know there will be special memories that last a lifetime!

Thanks so much for taking a peek!

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him.
1 Cor. 2:9

Blessings,


 



9 comments:

Patti J said...

What a fun card! How nice that he was so surprised, and Oh my goodness, that truck is looking amazing! You need to get the first official ride in the finished product, right? Love your creativity, Grace. Thanks , for sharing!

scrappinmommom said...

Awesome card. How very clever and thoughtful of you. Lucky son-in-law. I love doing those types of cards that are one of a kind and specifically with one thought in mind. Again, awesome.

wannabcre8tive said...

An awesome card and I love the old truck.

Kelley said...

Grace, what an awesome card for your SIL! Very cool seeing the truck coming along! Really cute card!!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Grace, this is fabulous! He must have LOVED the card! And I love the "progress" photos of their work! One of our pastors is a real old car buff and restores cars, he would love this! Hugs, sweet friend!

yums said...

Hooray for 'old' trucks!!! Rebuilding an old vehicle will make your grandson truly appreciate his truck and understand and know everything about keeping it going. Great learning lesson on patience, determination, workmanship and mechanics. The value of the truck will command big buck$ compared to late model ones which depreciates in value fast. Now all you have to do to make him happy is to go for a ride with him around the block. Enjoy!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a great card Grace - I do love how you have personalised it for you SIL.
Blessings
Maxine

SarahGeorge said...

The card is such a sweet personalized one Grace. He must have loved it :) And an amazing work progress on the truck. I can imagine the wonderful bonding of dad and son during the course :)

JD/ Jill said...

Wow! This is an amazing post. The card is so special, I'm sure he loved your personalized card. The truck is also amazing. You sure can see all the work that went into that truck. A treasure for sure.