Friday, May 9, 2014

An Angel Ornament Tutorial!

Our Daily Bread Designs Angel Wings Die set, ODBD Beautiful Border dies, designed by Grace Nywening

Hello my friends!  Today I have a fun little tutorial for you on how to make this sweet little angel ornament!  I hope you'll give it a try and have as much fun with it as  I did!  I'd love to see what you come up with!  You can email me a picture at my email me link in the left side bar if you don't have a link to a gallery or blog to share with me.

Here are the MATERIALS you will need.

Our Daily Bread Designs Custom Angel Wings Die Set
ODBD Custom Beautiful Borders Dies
Spellbinders Grand Scalloped Circle Die (or trace a plate about 61/4" wide and hand cut)
Cheery Lynn French Pastry Doily Die
Platinum or Silver card stock (I used Martha Stewart)
White Card Stock (I used Georgia Pacific)
White Copy Paper
White Paper Doily 6" wide
Crystal or silver bead - mine is about 7/8" high, and 2 silver bead caps (I used 2 sizes, but both could be the same)
Silver cord, silver wire
Crystal Bling (Recollections used here)
Hot Glue Gun
Adhesive Tape or runner
Tombow Mono Metal Glue (available at most major craft stores)
Clothespins or paper clips to clamp while drying
Frosted Lace Stickles


 DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut platinum or silver card stock with Spellbinders Grand Circle or Scalloped Circle Die. (If you don't have the Grand Circles, find a plate about 6.25" wide and trace around it and hand cut the circle.  This layer really does not show much, just a little silver shows through your doily, but it gives rigidity to the ornament.  The ones that are just made out of doilies seem to smoosh very easily.  Also note... the exact measurement is not critical.  If you have something a little smaller or a little larger, it won't make a big difference.

2. Find the center of your circle (I measured and drew lines on the back side to find the center).  Cut one fourth of the card stock away.  Add adhesive to one edge as shown.


3.  Adhere the adhesive end over the other end, forming a cone and matching scallops if you used the scalloped die.  I used adhesive strip, but I also added a thin line of TombowMono Metal glue right to the edge so there was o curing up.  I used clothespins to hold until it was dry.


4.Do the same with the 6" Doily.  You want to make the cone over top of the base cone so you know it fits nicely on top.(Again, size is not critical as long as it will fit over the base you created).  You can cut off any extra overlap if desired, or simply match patterns and overlap any extra.  I cut off my extra, leaving just enough for good adhesion in an overlap.





5. Place a dot of adhesive on the back of doily inside cone, to hold it to the base cone, but not much is needed as we will hold it together with the bead at the top later.

6.  Cut 1 Cheery Lynn French Doily from copy paper, and cut in half.




7.  Make 2 small cones for sleeves and adhere to the sides of your angel.  I used Tombow Mono Metal glue because it dries fast and holds very well.  Use clothespins or other clamps to hold in place until glue is set.  Sorry I missed getting a photo at this step but you can see in the below photos where the sleeves go.

8.  Pass a 4" piece of thin silver wire through large crystal bead, twisting it under the bead and down to the end. Add a silver bead cap (I used my smaller size here, with the curve facing up as shown below.   Cut 8.5-9" piece of silver cord and pass through one of the bead caps in the orientation shown below. (I used the larger one here).



9. Pass the silver cord with the silver bead cap down through the hole in the top of the cone. If the hole at the top of your cone needs to be a bit bigger, snip off just a tad so you can pass the cord through.  You don't need much room so start small and if you need more you can always take more, but try to keep the hole as small as possible while still allowing you to bring the cord trough.

 

 10.   Pass Crystal bead with wire and small cap down through the center of the other larger bead cap, spreading the silver cord so it comes out to the sides (one on each side) of the crystal bead.



11. Tie a knot in the silver cord near the end on the inside of the cone.



12.  While holding the cord in the position you want it to come out (on each side of the crystal bead head), add a good blob of hot glue right up in the top inside of the cone.  While it's still soft, position cords and bead as desired.  The hot glue when dry does a good job of holding this position if you have enough to completely surround the wire and cord.



13.  Cut 2 Angel Wings and one Beautiful Border with the ODBD dies, from white card stock.  Cut off just 2 sections of the beautiful border, and save the rest for a card or different project.


14.  Adhere one piece of the border at neckline in front, and one at back.  Adhere wings to back of angel and sleeves as shown below, using the Tombow Metal glue.  Now you can decorate as desired.  I used Recollections crystal bling and put one flourish on the back, and one on the front.  I added Stickles to the wings for some sparkle.



That's it!  You have a pretty ornament that's a lot sturdier than most paper doily angels, and is truly beautiful!  I hope you have fun with it!!!  These would be cute as Christmas tree ornaments, but could also be fun without the hanger cord, as favors on your table, perhaps with a little bag of goodies tucked up inside.  I could also see them as great little gifts for someone going through a difficult time who needs a reminder that God has given His angels charge over us, to keep us in all our ways.  There are lots of possiblities and you can pop these out very quickly once you get your "groove" going! :)

This brings to mind a Psalm that reassures us of God's protection and watch care over us, if we know Him and place our total trust in Him.  It blesses my heart every time I read it.

Ps. 91

1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

I have entered this in this week's Shining the Light Challenge, which is "Wing it".  You still have a couple days to play along and possibly win a prize!


Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope you enjoyed this little project and were blessed as well!

Hugs,

14 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is gorgeous Grace!!! I just love your angel!! The use of the doily makes it so elegant!! Stunning work as always my friend!! Thanks for supporting the Shining the Light challenge my friend!! I so appreciate you. Your work is always such an inspiration!!
hugs,
Chris

Anonymous said...

WOW - this was an AWESOME tutorial! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! I LOVE it!! You are too creative for your own good!! HA!!! LOVE ALL of your work!!! Joleen

Christine Harrop said...

This is so beautiful Grace! Thank you for sharing your tutorial. Christine

Carla S. said...

Stunning ornament, Grace! Thanks so much for sharing the detailed tutorial on how to make it! Very beautiful and creative! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

kiwimeskreations said...

Grace this is gorgeous - thank you so much for the tutorial - and scripture.
Blessings
Maxine

Irish Cherokee said...

Excellent project and tutorial. Love the psalms. Blessings

Jim

Kaye said...

She's heavenly....so very lovely.

lorrayneingram said...

Beautiful angel. I used to pray Ps 91 :11 with my daughter when she was young and waking up with bad dreams.

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful and so creative!!

Becky said...

wow Grace, this is just gorgeous.. And so creative too :)

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Grace...what an awesome ornament, those wings work so perfectly, awesome tutorial!!! Love it!!
Hugs

Sandy said...

Grace, I have been watching your site for a very long time now. You are a woman of Grace and your love for our Lord shines through you. What I loved about this post was Psalm 91 and that you took the time to post all of it. It blessed me so much. I remember when I would go to bed and be scared. One night God showed me a vision of a very big Angel kneeling next to me with his beautiful right wing spread out over me and I felt safe. He was all white and kneeling next to me facing my head he had his head bowed in grace. I love your heart for God and I pray you never stop sharing with us. God bless you Grace!

Kelley said...

I read Sandy's comment, wow, so awesome!! You surely do share your love of God with us all!! And these angel instructions are wonderful!!!

The Scrapoholic said...

I just love this Angel! I so have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing and writing such a great tutorial.